UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2023, 9:41 pm   #1
dentist365
Diode

Default Boosey and Hawkes “wirek 202” reporter

Hi there

Can somebody put me out of my misery.

I’ve been searching for months for this exact image of a Boosey & Hawkes Reporter.

I think it’s from a 1953 Magazine (or Manual).

I’ve seen a couple ‘very’ close but none ‘exactly’ the same.

Can you help ?

I’m desperate.

Cheers Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE9097A5-9580-4B22-97C2-8A8E632233A5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	278375  
Old 17th May 2023, 10:18 pm   #2
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Re: Boosey and Hawkes “wirek 202” reporter

I thought I had seen it before!

Sorry I can't help with a source, but maybe some modern art forums could give an answer if you ask around?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_w...o_appealing%3F
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hamilton-appealing2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	278378  
Old 18th May 2023, 6:48 am   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

It'll almost certainly be in a 'Wireless World' of summer 1950 undoubtedly extracted from a quarter or half page B&H advert announcing the new Reporter. WW magazines are online.
Old 25th Aug 2023, 10:32 pm   #4
Gordondav54
Tetrode

I found this image in a magazine called Amateur Cine World 1954 August edition. This magazine is view-able at internet archive.
https://archive.org/details/sim_amat...g+out+of+doors See page 377.

I suspect the image was used freely in different adverts and reviews of the Boosey and Hawkes clockwork portable. It is certainly the same photograph but it might never be know which actual publication was cut up to use in Richard Hamilton’s ‘pop art’ collage called ‘Just what is it that makes today’s home’s so different, so appealing?’

It is regrettable that there don’t seem to be any decent copies of the collage on the internet with anything like the fidelity of a scan of the Boosey and Hawkes direct from an original magazine. However you can make out the blobby gluing and folded up bottom corner of the cut-out. It’s odd this ‘artwork’ became so famous at it is small and was produced hastily to advertise an exhibition. The images show the magazine scan and the collage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boosey Hawkes Amateur Cine World.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	283990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boosey Hawkes Richard Hamilton.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	283991  
Old 25th Aug 2023, 11:52 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordondav54 View Post
It’s odd this ‘artwork’ became so famous at it is small and was produced hastily to advertise an exhibition. The images show the magazine scan and the collage.
Some of the greatest art is produced in haste. Coleman Hawkins' iconic 1939 recording of "Body and Soul" was recorded on the spur of the moment because the session producer needed a fourth side to complete the release. Caught off guard, he played from the heart, and the rest is history.
Old 29th Aug 2023, 7:08 am   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

This appears to be the Wirek Reporter de-Luxe of 1952. See de-Luxe advert and comments in my "Guide to British tape-recorders" p.485-ish. I'll have the original... somewhere!

The image is best seen in my 'Guide to British tape-recorders"; it's c.1952. Such images were routinely air-brushed, then as now.
Closed Thread