UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2023, 6:56 pm   #1
Teddypipe
Diode

Default Grampian loudspeaker identification. (Actually a microphone).

Hi I picked this up thinking it was a vintage Grampian microphone.

However, when I took the back off to look at the connections the "PM Grampian Loudspeaker" label put paid to that. Now looking to sell the item, it's in lovely condition (the stand has blemishes and scratches, but the speaker has been kept in it's original box). But I cannot find an image or description of a similar item, it appears to be unique. Can any one identify? Price?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5956.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	277004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5968.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	277005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5965.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	277006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5966.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	277007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5955.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	277008  

Old 17th Apr 2023, 8:49 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Grampian loudspeaker identification

That’s a Grampian DPL/DP2 Mike from the 1940s/50s. I have a few in my collection. I guess that the ‘Loudspeaker’ label is a red herring - Grampian also made speakers in that period and it would seem likely that the magnets and possibly the coil assemblies were interchangeable with their microphones.

The DPL’s main claim to fame is that it’s believed to be the mike used by Winston Churchill to announce the WW2 victory from that Treasury balcony in the famous Whitehall crowd scene.

‘Character’ mikes are of interest to some recording studios in order to capture ‘period’ sound.

Martin
Old 17th Apr 2023, 10:43 pm   #3
fetteler
Octode

Presumably, having established that this is indeed a microphone, the OP will not now be looking to sell the item.

Steve.
Old 18th Apr 2023, 8:37 pm   #4
Teddypipe
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
That’s a Grampian DPL/DP2 Mike from the 1940s/50s. I have a few in my collection. I guess that the ‘Loudspeaker’ label is a red herring - Grampian also made speakers in that period and it would seem likely that the magnets and possibly the coil assemblies were interchangeable with their microphones.

The DPL’s main claim to fame is that it’s believed to be the mike used by Winston Churchill to announce the WW2 victory from that Treasury balcony in the famous Whitehall crowd scene.

‘Character’ mikes are of interest to some recording studios in order to capture ‘period’ sound.

Martin
Thanks Martin, I have now soldered up a jack lead and it does work perfectly.
Old 18th Apr 2023, 8:42 pm   #5
Teddypipe
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Presumably, having established that this is indeed a microphone, the OP will not now be looking to sell the item.

Steve.
Thanks Steve

I will still be looking to sell the microphone, because during the interim another kind soul has given me their retro mike which is a better match.
Closed Thread