UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2023, 10:37 pm   #1
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Pye Shaver Mics

Hi All,
Found a seemingly unused Pye Shaver Mic in a recently acquired box of bits and thought I would try to use it. Never having used one of these before I took it to bits to trace the wiring and found that there is active circuitry in the mic. two little PCB's, one where all the wiring terminated with a few passive components and another wired to the first which appears to have 3 transistors and a few more bits.
Is anybody able to shed any light on what function these circuits perform? The insert is an electret so I was expecting a power feed but not all this additional stuff.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 10:49 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Pye Shaver Mics

Hi Peter.
You found a modern one. After all that time back in 1968 at Haig rd with the old basic Westminster cloth covered curly lead microphone!

The passive component pcb is just for power and audio functions for the electret insert. It can be configured for am or fm response.
I should have circuit info.....somewhere?

The other one is I believe for a time out function on ptt? Blue and white are I think ptt.
I have seen them before but never used the function.

Best wishes for 2023
Rob
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 10:44 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I think these are the circuits you are after.

They were appendices in the MX294 handbook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	appenb2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	270782   Click image for larger version

Name:	appenb3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	270783   Click image for larger version

Name:	appenb1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	270784  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 3:46 pm   #4
G8BBZ
Pentode

Hi Robin,
Thought you might be monitoring.
Best wishes for 2023.

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the ccts. just what i wanted.

cheers
Peter G8BBZ
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 4:06 pm   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Glad it's what you needed.

The mic schematic is for FM. I suppose for AM they messed about with some RC values.

It was all a dodge to get improved readability by adding some extra pre-emphasis that didn't get measured during type approval tests. The Mic didn't form part of the measuring setup.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 6:02 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

I used one of those shaver mics with a Pye Europa ( I think ) when it was installed in my car. I was on call for British Gas in 1981. I remember the radio set had orange coloured edge operated knobs, which matched the orange push to talk button on the mic.

Cheers

Aub
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 6:08 pm   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Europa (MF6FM) had black edgewise controls. It's mate the Reporter (MF5AM) had an orange power button matching the mic but white edgewise controls.

The Gas was always FM AFIK. I'm thinking something like a Pegasus M252 as the only one with orange controls. It was FM. A ruggedised thing built in a diecast chassis getting on for 4" high. Usually drab green.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 6:26 pm   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Wrong way Jon!
You do have the knob colours correct though.
MF5AM is the old 2W nominal Motafone. Horrible things with built in speaker.
MF6AM is the Reporter, (solid state) Not to be confused with the ancient valve one with the same name!
MF5FM is vhf fm, nominal 5W, MF25FM is vhf, nominal 25W
MF5U is the uhf, nominal 5W
I wonder if Aub is thinking of the Olympic M201AM? That had orange mute knob, power button and a tapered orange stripe on the volume knob.
AFAIK Gas and electric were on split D/B band am only in those radio model days.

BTW, I have a Europa look alike, the SSB170 HF tx/rx. Quite scarce. Apart from the legends on the 3 knobs, (I think one is "clarifier"), it looks the same.

As an aside, years ago I once had a junk stall at a rally with a few A200 linears on it. One chap was sorting each one looking at the serial number plate. I assured him they were legit. His reply was "I am looking for the UHF one"!
When I said there was no such thing made, he replied that I was wrong, his mate was a Pye engineer and had one!
Little did he know....
Rob
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 6:26 pm   #9
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

The Gas was always FM AFIK.

The one's I have seen were AM.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 6:35 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Yes thanks for putting that to bed.

I had a few boo-boos in there. I stand corrected. Gas was AM historically. But didn't it go trunked later? That would be FM and maybe what I was thinking. It is very likely that M201 Olympic is the set in question here.

MF5AM Motafone - Suflex capacitors short circuit - Yuk!

I would have agreed about the A200. Never seen a UHF one.

A word of warning about shaver mics. They can come apart in the middle of an over. The top piece - chromed aluminium carrying the insert is only pressed through the plated steel spine which holds all the bits. Sometimes they didn't apply enough pressure with the press. One of mine exploded mid sentence and I was left holding just the spine and a dangling top piece + insert. The plastic side covers were on the floor of the car.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 3rd Jan 2023 at 6:52 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 7:51 pm   #11
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack
I wonder if Aub is thinking of the Olympic M201AM? That had orange mute knob, power button and a tapered orange stripe on the volume knob.
Yes, absolutely. That's the one . Many thanks

Aub