UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2023, 9:39 pm   #1
John1962
Diode

Default Graetz Fantasia 1022 Antenna?

Hi Everyone. I have a 1961 Graetz fantasia 1022 radio. Does anyone know where I can buy or how to build an external shortwave antenna? I have attached a picture of the back of the unit. I read the radio requires 'banana plugs'? The schematic on the back looks like on wire needs to be grounded on a metal pipe. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Graetz.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	278715  
Old 25th May 2023, 12:10 am   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Graetz Fantasia 1022 Antenna?

Those symbols for the aerial/antenna connections are historic and possibly unsuitable for the modern world.

Modern water pipes may include sections of non-conductive plastic pipes.
'Long wire' aerials tend to pick up lots of noise from switch mode power supplies.

I don't have the schematic for that radio. I would try a random length of wire connected to the aerial socket and check the wavebands to see what I could pick up.

'Banana plugs' are 4mm in diameter. Older plugs can be 1/8" or smaller.

Many people recommend Loop aerials.
Old 25th May 2023, 8:35 am   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Modern banana plugs are too thick. In UK the correct type of plug would more accurately be described as a wander plug. You will probably be able to source a plug of the correct diameter (see previous post) on eBay. Failing that, you could use a split pin by trimming and adjusting the legs so that it is a snug fit in the socket. For best shortwave reception on a domestic set, a longwire is perfectly adequate, and the longer the better. Indoor aerials are more susceptible to interference noise from domestic sources. A loft aerial is usually better and an outside wire best of all. If you live close to other occupied buildings then noise can still be a problem. If that's the case then you might want to invest in a magnetic loop aerial, although the types that work well on higher frequencies (shortwave) are somewhat expensive. There is info elsewhere on this Forum on mag loops. Jerry
Old 25th May 2023, 6:17 pm   #4
John1962
Diode

Thank you very much for the great advice. Much appreciated!
Closed Thread