UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2023, 9:37 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Marconi Test equipment

Hi peeps.. Not my usual field of interest. Some of you may be interested.
As mentioned in the Items for Sale, I purchased 3 Marconi Test pieces, from a vendor on FB Marketplace, As the photo's on the ad were not good, with fingers crossed, hoping it may be of use to my RF interests, I bought the items. Delivered to my door in under an hour. I was slightly disappointed that it was Telecom based and not RF test gear.
The stand alone item is / was built like the proverbial "outhouse" VERY Heavy, case must weigh a few Kg's. It has 3 highly populated pcb's mostly TTL and 2 X FPGA's
I have not ventured into the other two items yet, but are also very heavy and in a case offering rack mount .
If anyone has any ideas regarding "worth" "Value" technically, I could be persuaded to part with the two rack mounted items. If not I will attack with vigour and lekky screwdriver. Please see photo's attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inst 3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	278654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inst 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	278655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inst 1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	278656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inst 4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	278657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inst 5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	278658  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:41 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Marconi Test equipment

BERTs Bit error ratio testers. They can also count raw errors and likely do statistics on errored minutes and error-free minutes, that sort of thing. The first box likely only does 2048 kBit/sec primary rate. The second box says it does 140MBit/sec and some intermediary PCM levels. If memory serves me, that 140MBit/sec is probably the 139.264 Mbit/sec pleisiochronous data hierarchy in Europe.

THere isn't much that will interest you inside. It looks like you've bought a couple of boxes, knobs, power supplies that something usedful could be built into.

David
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:11 pm   #3
Wendymott
Octode

Theres a few "nick nacks" in the stand alone item, a few SMA connectors with good grade coax, might even fire up the hot air gun.. a SMPsu +12v, +5V and -24V. It was worth £30 just to see what was in them. + A pair of moving coil meters, my knobs box will be more full too

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th May 2023, 9:50 am   #4
knobtwiddler
Octode

Note that the grey knobs are similar to / same as those used on vintage Neve recording equipment. If you put 'Neve knobs' into Google, you'll see what I mean. There are replicas made by several firms, such is their desirability for DIY projects. The originals could fetch a few quid, if you bear in mind that a complete mixing console from this era will cost you about as much as a family house now.

edit - if you decide there isn't much of interest to your hobby in there, it could be worth offering them to a firm who rents film props out.
Old 24th May 2023, 1:22 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Knob twiddler. Before I saw your post "just now"..... the items have been dismantled and the useful bits stored, but thanks for the idea .

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread