UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2023, 7:59 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Ready Worked Pulse and Bar Generator Schematic?

The Pulse and Bar/VITS picture shown has a special memory for me, as it takes my mind back to a grotty thundery day in the lounge of a hotel on Morecambe Promenade, trying to repair and setup a clapped–out Bush A823 with a dud CRT and practically every convergence Control and preset in the thing dud as well!

The local transmitter had obviously been affected as it's output kept jumping between colour–bars, ETP1, blank dark rasters, disintegrating mosaic blocks and full–screen pulse–and–bar/VITS!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a worked out, buildable circuit to generate this pattern (as attached) without having to spend £300–£400 on an old Grundig VG1000 please?

Chris Williams

PS!

Sorry Mods, I think I posted it in the wrong section by mistake – can you move if needed please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230517-073744.png
Views:	169
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	278321  

Last edited by Chris55000; 17th May 2023 at 8:11 am.
Old 17th May 2023, 10:07 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Ready Worked Pulse and Bar Generator Schematic?

Chris

Subject to the use you wish to make of the Test Pattern, YouTube and Daily Motion both have videos you could use.

Alternatively, on ebay, a Vintage Addlestone Electronice BH22 is yours for £22 or less. # 275848721863.

Good luck

Chris

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 17th May 2023 at 10:25 am. Reason: don't use euphemisms if you cant say ebay you can't imply it
Old 17th May 2023, 10:21 am   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

That would be an interesting additional chapter to my T & M Theory and Repair Book last part 22 dealing with Pattern Generators!

Since it's designed to produce one output only it hardly needs a manual!

I believe the waveforms are documented in "Television", somewhere about 1975/1976, can anyone remind me which issues please?

There is another, much more expensive one the same with a Manual supplied, but I didn't see the point of paying the extra!

Chris Williams

PS!

They're still going strong apparently!

Last edited by Chris55000; 17th May 2023 at 10:38 am.
Old 17th May 2023, 10:31 am   #4
Cathovisor
Banned

Try and find a Tek TSG-271 or a TSG-95.

Won't have an RF output though.
Old 20th May 2023, 8:09 am   #5
marceljack
Pentode

You could simply use your picture, resizing it to 576 pix vertically then save it to a USB flash drive. Then just read it using the photo display function of a DTT decoder using its composite video or UHF output if it has a modulator.
Old 21st May 2023, 10:44 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
I believe the waveforms are documented in "Television", somewhere about 1975/1976, can anyone remind me which issues please?

Hello Chris.

It was described in a supplement in the April 1976 issue.

Regards,
Symon
Old 6th Jul 2023, 10:43 am   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

I bought the cheap BH–22 and this will be written up and documented as and when my spare time permits!

Chris Williams
Old 6th Jul 2023, 11:43 am   #8
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I Have an Electrocraft Pulse & Bar generator, which I used many years ago when setting up a CCTV system on the M4 motorway!

David.
Old 6th Jul 2023, 12:13 pm   #9
murphyv310
Dekatron

The RT Russell test card generator included the VIT signal on lines 19 & 20 if I'm not mistaken and also Teletext that can be edited on a PC.

Mine went after the loss of my wife, during a time of deep despair, a sale I deeply regret.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 3:58 pm   #10
Chris55000
Nonode

Unfortunately Mr. Russell didn't open–source his Test Card Generator and I don't think any have been available for purchase for several decades now!

I will feature the Addlestone BH22 circuits in Part 21, Chapter 256 of my T & M Theory and Repair Book, writing of which is currently in progress with the help of I.B.A. Technical Review No. 2!

One question for "Vintage Engr" David, does your Electrocraft Generator produce the 5 step.grey scale wedge during the right hand part of the line or is it a smooth ramp like the Addlestone BH22 was designed to produce?

And a general question for all Members who've worked with this type of equipment more than I have, can the 140 mV p–p subcarrier be added to the left side video by means of a gate triggered by the start of the grey–scale bars, with a simple resistance summing network or potentiometer?

Chris Williams

One ques
Old 15th Jul 2023, 9:24 pm   #11
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Hello Chris,

Sorry for delay in my reply, I've been away for a few days & only just picked up your post.

I've not used the generator for years, as I have other better broadcast kit here.
I only managed to locate the Electrocraft, after seeing your first post regarding P&B generators.
I will try & run it up next week, but I seem to remember that it produced a ramp.
It was a low cost unit, only designed for basic use setting up EQ on VDA's & also - as in the case of the M4 motorway cable, where it was used to set up the Addlestone Engineering balanced line amplifiers. These fed the video signal down a multicore twisted pair cable, that ran the length of the motorway, with more EQ at regular intervals. The results were quite good considering the cable had a multiple use, for comms & signalling! I used to be able to get line passably flat from Heston to the Severn Bridge...

All a long while ago.
I'll run the P&B up as soon as I get a chance.

David.
Closed Thread