UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2017, 12:17 am   #1
backflipper
Tetrode

Unhappy I could kick myself. Tektronix 603a

I picked up a piece of Tektronix kit today from and ignored the golden rule before powering it up. Check some numpty hasn't replaced the 600mA fuse with something stupid like a 10A slow blow.

I couldn't wait to fire up the storage monitor and when I did I got a dot on the screen and was able to shift it around so I thought "Nice" then it went dead after 5mins with a puff of smoke.

One of the Sprague 3300uF 25V caps had shorted and because it had a nail for a fuse both tracks feeding the bridge rectifier for the +20v rail instantly disintegrated. Well I can fix it but it was a reminder to do some initial checks before getting too excited.

Cheers
Old 13th Aug 2017, 12:23 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: I could kick myself. Tektronix 603a

Easy mistake to make. I found tinfoil in a Heathkit counter fuse holder before. Usually Tek bridge rectifiers make pretty good fuses themselves (I've lost count of how many I've replaced) so that's a bit unlucky.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 3:39 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Yes. I've had a handful of Tek bridges go open circuited as well. Odd really, most other types fail short
Old 13th Aug 2017, 7:47 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I say a lucky escape ! It could have been a lot worse , Mick.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:42 pm   #5
backflipper
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Easy mistake to make. I found tinfoil in a Heathkit counter fuse holder before. Usually Tek bridge rectifiers make pretty good fuses themselves (I've lost count of how many I've replaced) so that's a bit unlucky.
Cheers but yes it did drive home the importance of initial checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I say a lucky escape ! It could have been a lot worse , Mick.
I agree. Safety 1st!
Old 13th Aug 2017, 9:39 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Interesting that such bodges are made by users of this sort of gear, who might be expected to know better.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:17 pm   #7
backflipper
Tetrode

I think it was a reseller who replaced it thinking it would fix the no image not realising that the dot was off screen.
Closed Thread