UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 12th Apr 2024, 8:46 pm   #1
Cobaltblue

Default Roberts RMB restoration nearing completion

I have had a Roberts RMB on the bench for over a month just trying to fit in around work and domestic "stuff"

These are an absolute pleasure to work on having an isolated mains supply and still using parallel heaters rather than the AC/DC arrangement.

I have taken the attitude with this set that in terms of repair/restoration it's now unlikely I will ever revisit this set for repairs.

There are therefore wax caps that I would normally not change as they are in positions where a small amount of leakage on the lower voltage of a battery set means they can often be left in situ.

However as I intend to use this set a lot in the office with a pantry Tx connected to an internet source I changed them all.

I only needed to change two resistors one of which was a 60's replacement and not original V3 anode load 560K gone to over 1M and the SG feed to V3 4.7M over 9M to be fair these sets are very tolerant of 100% changes but both were changed all others were within their original tolerances mostly 20%.

Surprisingly all the electrolytic were passable, and improving with use ( I did reform them to a degree)

So now I am waiting for some new caps to replace the mains filter caps and sorting out the HT which is on the low side.

The LT is also low but at 1.28V I don't need to replace anything I don't like the LT above 1.3V on these elderly valves.

The selenium rectifiers have gone HR and I am prepared to live with the LT
The HT I have use a UF404 and 1.5 K and and that brings the HT up to just over 90V.
I need to find a better looking R and hide it with the diode behind the original rectifier which I am leaving in situ.

So now my query is should I leave the LT rectifier alone or replace it and fit a resistor to bring the HT back down to 1.3V it a question will the LT rect survive another 20 or 30 years (if I'm lucky )

The case is in beautiful condition I just need to do something with the carrying handle.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is offline   Reply With Quote