UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2017, 2:05 pm   #1
Gafral1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tandberg 3300x

I've just got a Tandberg 3300x reel-to-reel in quite good condition as it seems. I've cleaned it inside and out and I've changed the drive belts, yes the one to the counter as well.
I can wind forward and rewind and it stop as it should.
But when put in the Play mode it doesn't move.
Everything is spinning but not the reels themselves.

Any suggestions why it's behaving like it does?
Old 4th Jul 2017, 5:41 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 3300x

I think these decks still had the little pause lever to the left of the headblock. If this is set to the right everything whirrs but nothing moves...
Old 9th Jul 2017, 1:28 am   #3
Michael Maurice

Is the capstan spinning? If not the pivot that the jockey pulley relies on for speed change may be stuck due to hardened grease.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Aug 2017, 5:03 am   #4
Spectreman
Retired Dormant Member

I just got a Tandberg 4000 series deck, and on this one you have to push in the start button to get it to play, after the play lever is Pushed down. Caught me out, I first thought the deck was faulty, but it works fine.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 9:28 am   #5
ricard
Octode

Yes, same thing as on the 3300X really, except that the 4000X has a solenoid operated pause control so there's a push button (and it can be remote controlled) instead of a lever.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 9:35 am   #6
Spectreman
Retired Dormant Member

Ok, thanks for that Ricard. I think the solenoid operation is kind of nice. My 4041X deck is great, working well and made my first recording with it last night. Only down side is it is mechanically noisy when running, due to the hardened rubber on the idler wheel.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 8:51 pm   #7
ricard
Octode

The noise can usually be perhaps not eliminated but at least reduced by sanding down the outmost hardened layer of the idler, and also by cleaning with rubber or platen cleaner.
Closed Thread