UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2017, 11:23 pm   #1
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Default Ever Ready Sky Casket

I saw this radio in an antique store in Cardiff when on holiday last year, and thought it unusual enough to take a gamble on it. It was in poor shape cosmetically, with the covering frayed at the edges, one knob incorrect, and just generally looking sad. When I removed it from its case I had a horrible feeling that the valves wouldn't be any good, because the HT and LT wires were twisted together. Sure enough, all four valves were bad. I purchased the service data from this site, and found earlier posts about this radio that helped to identify the power supply wire colours. I also asked a couple of questions in the relevant forum, and got some help, for which I am most grateful.

The electrical repair consisted of replacing all of the Hunts capacitors, plus the one electrolytic, and of course all four valves, which I was fortunate to find. I also cleaned the wave change switch. I connected 10 9 volt batteries in series for the HT, connected them to the radio along with a 1.5V LT supply, and it worked. Very pleased! I carried out an alignment, and that side of the job was done.

As far as the cosmetics are concerned, I scrubbed the case with a spray cleaner and toothbrush, and it lightened it up considerably. I glued the frayed edges with a white (PVA?) glue. I used Brasso on the metal fittings, and replaced all screws with new brass ones. I removed the speaker from the lid, and then removed the grill cloth from the baffle board. I tried to clean it, but it was stained too badly. it is better than it was, but not perfect.

All in all, I don't think it turned out too badly for my first valve portable project. I have attached photos showing the difference in colour before and after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed small.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	143251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open small.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	143252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished closed small.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	143253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished open small.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	143254  
Old 26th May 2017, 7:44 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Casket

Well done, Colin. You've done a very good job on that cabinet. These battery valve portables are sensitive and can give very good performance.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th May 2017, 10:47 am   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Good effort!

A radio saved, a few hours of fun, and lots of listening pleasure ahead!

Agree Phil, the standard 4-valve battery superhet is a good, stable, sensitive circuit.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:32 pm   #4
ajs37
Heptode

Well done Colin - I have a couple of these in the 'roundtuit' pile, which doesn't seem to be getting any smaller
Old 26th May 2017, 3:32 pm   #5
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Thank you all for the positive comments. It was a fun project, that's for sure.

Colin
Closed Thread