UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2011, 11:57 pm   #21
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: The classic 60's TV set?

Ultra Bermuda 25 inch 950 chassis. Been looking for one for years. Also the Ekco 24 inch T541, Pye 769 chassis.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 8:45 pm   #22
ntscuser
Hexode

Another vote for the RBM A640 from me. Would have kept our Bush TV161U much longer than we did but the rental company did a botched rebuild on it and it was never the same again.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 11:53 pm   #23
Nicklyons2
Octode

Runners up have to be the Murphy V659 a simply beautiful set and the Thorn 950 for its ubiquity BUT in first place it just has to be the Bush TV125 - I'm sorry but I can't countenance anything else. 1) Gorgeously symetrical, tube in the middle, spkr at one side, controls the other. 2) One of the earliest dual std sets 3) one of the last 'all valve' sets ( I know it had solid state rectifiers ). 4) Well built 5) no 'exotic' hard to get valves. 6) didn't use the VHF tuner for additional gain on UHF so had enormous IF gain.... I could go on....

Last edited by Nicklyons2; 12th Mar 2013 at 11:54 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 13th Mar 2013, 8:44 am   #24
Studio263
Octode

Sony TV9-306UB? It has plenty to commend it for the title, released in late 1965 (bang in the middle of the decade), visible on the cover of one of the more memorable Beatles records, dual standard and with a few valves inside (OK you can't see them, but they are there!). Other points in it's favour: small, easy(ish) to fix, you can watch it all day with no fear of the tube going flat or the LOPT going up in smoke - how many 60s sets can you say that about?

If you don't like Japanese stuff then the Perdio Portaramas spring to mind as a nice choice, the "three" especially with its "interesting" cabinet design. The BRC 980 also has a lot to recommend it, I quite fancy one of those myself. For a big set with decent performance though it has to be one of the Philips "Style 70" models doesn't it?
Old 13th Mar 2013, 9:28 am   #25
raditechman
Heptode

I liked the Bush 125. I had one back then and it served well. Nice set.
John
Old 13th Mar 2013, 10:13 am   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There were many classic 1960's receivers and cabinet design must play a big role.
It was time to make a bonfire of the old brown furniture from the start of the 20th Century. World War 2 was behind us and it was a time for the young to look forward into the bright new World of contemporary design.
From the early 60's we must include the space age theme of remote control via ultrasonic and light beam wizardry.
The Murphy Astronaut series from 1961 and the Ekco light beam models come to mind but for me it's the Philco 1100 Thorn based receiver, [750 convertible] the 'Selectorflash' that tops my list for that early period.
The dual standard era brought in the 'Long Low Look' exclusively in teak finish, a wood colour that remained popular well into the 70's. Some of the best examples are from the Ferranti range fitted with the Pye 11U chassis.
Smart teak cabinets, green facia, cream push button tuners and neat magazine rack stands and mini skirts. Absolute 1960's.
My personal favourite both from a technical performance and style must be the RBM 640 series both in Bush and Murphy presentations.
The coloured cabinets from Murphy screamed revolution and brought colour into the living room with a bang even if the pictures for the most part were in black and white.
The Bush were a little more conventional and I feel even Granny would have been persuaded to allow her beloved Bush TUG24 to be moved aside after 17 years. I fear the 'Chickens Foot' stand may have been a step too far and she would have nagged grandad till he made her a 'nice stand' for it..
Pictures from some of my sales leaflets saved from my very early shop days.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBM 640.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	77401   Click image for larger version

Name:	RBM 640 (1).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	77402   Click image for larger version

Name:	RBM 640 (2).jpg
Views:	421
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	77403   Click image for larger version

Name:	RBM 640 (3).jpg
Views:	478
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	77404  
Old 13th Mar 2013, 12:19 pm   #27
Nicklyons2
Octode

John, Didn't the Murphys also come in 'serene green' and 'sleak teak' as well? I think you're correct they deserve an honourable mention. The Philips T320 in white on the winglass stand with the rotary UHF preset tuner and 16" tube may just scrape in for the 1970s

I'm reluctant to include any imports for the 1960s, not out of xenophobia but because they weren't that common and weren't part of the fabric of the business and weren't respected/loved household names for the customers. The Perdio Portarama deserved more popularity and fame than it got; in my view it is what a portable TV should look like even though the Sony TV 9 is quite 'cute'. How many can remember the Perdio in the opening titles of BBC 'Play For Today' with the female model on the bridge?
Old 13th Mar 2013, 1:16 pm   #28
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
JI'm reluctant to include any imports for the 1960s, not out of xenophobia but because they weren't that common and weren't part of the fabric of the business and weren't respected/loved household names for the customers.
That's the price of reliability... It's hard to argue that the likes of the Sony TV9-90UB (introduced late in 1968) weren't that common given the numbers that survive, either that or they were just hundreds of times more reliable than any other dual standard model (actually that may be true!). They didn't line the pockets of the repair trade to any great extent but I bet the dealers who sold them new loved them!

The white Philips was a 17" set, model G17T320.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 1:20 pm   #29
FERNSEH
Dekatron

John has got it right, it's those Bush and Murphy models produced between 1967 to 1969. They just look right don't they, capture the zeitgeist of those times. Real classy looks and great performers on both standards.
Other models: I did like the Ultra Bermuda sets from 1966 to 1968, all that chrome. Malc's right about the 25" Ultra, that's the way to watch 405.
But don't forget the sets from the early sixties especially the 405 only 19 and 23" sets from from Ferguson and HMV. KB sets as well just before the dual standard models came along.

DFWB.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 3:17 pm   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
John, Didn't the Murphys also come in 'serene green' and 'sleak teak' as well?
They certainly did Nick. Early versions had gloss cabinets and looked a bit like coloured toffee apples. They also did a black version that was not continued when they changed from gloss to silk finish. They were very popular and a brave move by RBM even in the swinging sixties.

A few more pages from the sales leaflet. Cheers, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	77437   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	77438  
Old 13th Mar 2013, 5:41 pm   #31
Nicklyons2
Octode

John, thanks for the extra brochures, my money is on the 'Outrageous Orange'. I bet the matt version of the 'Quite White' sets were a pig to keep clean! I did particularly like having the controls on the top; let's be honest most of us were stood up when we changed channel in those days and on the top was more convenient. Even I have to admit that selecting 'ITA' on a Bush TV125 when on the (hideous) comtemporary legs meant some amount of stooping, not very ergonomic at all.

And thanks to Studio263 #28 above, for putting me right on the exact details of the Philips set; I've got the manual for it but couldn't be bothered to pull it out for the exact details so I did the post from memory, sorry about that. I always thought the tubes on those sets looked peculiarly 'square'. I'm sure they must have been nearer 5:4 than 4:3 unless it was just an optical illusion.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 8:09 pm   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Lots of orange around 69-71. TV sets, Cars and kitchen units. Granny was horrified until somebody reminded her of what she got up to in her boyfriend's M.G. in 1936... Things don't really change that much. J.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 7:39 pm   #33
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
I always thought the tubes on those sets looked peculiarly 'square'. I'm sure they must have been nearer 5:4 than 4:3 unless it was just an optical illusion.
110 degree tubes were 5:4 though, weren't they? The line was set to over-scan to compensate, leading to the persistent misconception among 'flatscreen' enthusiasts that overscanning is a built-in failing of cathode-ray displays.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 8:24 pm   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
I bet the matt version of the 'Quite White' sets were a pig to keep clean!
The later models were 'satin' finish rather like a washable emulsion but much harder. The finish was very durable with the RBM receivers and cleaned up well with a bit of 'Flash' and warm water.

I can't think of anything very 60's from the Pye range and the Philips name produced just two that were memorable. The 1961/62 range with their white and red fronts [19/23TG122] stand out together with the 'Style 70' especially the one with the Smith's clock and timer, another receiver with a magazine rack stand.
The Thorn group let the Ultra range rip into the 60's with many very stylish designs with white masks, teak finish cabinets and long long cabinets.
It was strange to enter a rather shabby front room of pre war dark curtains and furniture to see the only modern thing in the room, the telly! The 60's models often stood out looking somewhat out of place bringing the swinging 60's into the Victorian home. I had very many customers with living rooms similar to the one described and still remember quite a large number that still bring a smile when recalled. Very Happy Days that seem such a short while back. [Cheer up John] John.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 11:19 pm   #35
Nicklyons2
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
110 degree tubes were 5:4 though, weren't they? The line was set to over-scan to compensate, leading to the persistent misconception among 'flatscreen' enthusiasts that overscanning is a built-in failing of cathode-ray displays.
Well I suspect many weren't exactly 4:3 particularly the 20" & 24" but that
17" tube just looked 'squarer' than most OR maybe it's just me.

Please, Please don't get me started on the subject of "misconceptions of the flat screen enthusiasts"
Old 14th Mar 2013, 11:48 pm   #36
Steve_P
Dekatron

Two things to remember here. Firstly, some 50's sets were in use into the 70's. Also, unlike now, sets seemed to last longer. We handed back a TV125 back in 1974 (I was 7) and it still worked, got a Second Hand BRC3500 (Ultra Bermuda) which also still worked when it left us for a G11 in 1981.

The Panasonic TV we had worked with only 1 call out from 1982 to when my dad decided it was out of date in 1997. Since then they've had 6 sets!

Anyway, maybe 3 sets - 1960 - 1964, Dual Standards from 1964 to 1968 and early colour sets.

For me: Bush TV105, Bush TV125 and BRC3000

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 1:39 pm   #37
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I've got a 'quite white' A640 on the shelf, or 'quite grubby' as it now is, with a somewhat chipped cabinet and, sadly, no stand. The LOPT still works, but the frame stage bounces around like a ball - I suspect the well-used PCB is conducting. Good CRT, though - I was always fond of the A640 series, probably because my Dad bought a new 24" TV186D, as per John's picures above, in 1968 and we spent many happy hours watching the trade test transmissions and films (yes, he used to be a TV engineer as well...).
I agree that colour sets didn't make an impact until the Seventies - they were curious machines up till then. As a teenager I did paint a TV171 orange - does that count?
Glyn
Old 15th Mar 2013, 2:08 pm   #38
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I was always fond of the A640 series, probably because my Dad bought a new 24" TV186D, as per John's picures above.
Was there a problem with the swivel stand because as I recall the front mounted push buttons on the A640 required considerable force to operate? (Our TV161U had chromed wire legs which prevented backwards movement).

Beautiful set though offered in a choice of dark walnut or pale oak finish if I remember correctly.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 3:31 pm   #39
Tazman1966
Nonode

I seem to remember the greatest force was only needed when actuating the (cable operated) system switch. I agree though, lovely performers and on both systems too.
Old 9th Aug 2014, 4:40 pm   #40
Vectamart
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectamart View Post
My choice would have yo be a Sobell T279. My parents used to rent one of these excellent sets from Rentaset during the 1960s. They had a very slim cabinet, 17" 110 degree tube and also featured an FM radio.
After many years of trying to find an example of this model, I finally managed to buy one from a gentleman in Liverpool via eBay. Now trying to sort out why it blows its mains fuse 10 seconds after switching on. Tried removing both PY82 HT rectifier valves but fault still persists. I'll have to isolate the circuits one by one.
Closed Thread