UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2019, 6:00 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Not saved (Oh go on then...) Ferguson 59P7A.

I have saved a couple of sets from skips this year. A Decca 30 and more recently a Pye K30 which I posted a thread about on the forum.
Today I gave my mate a lift to work to fetch his van. I always have a snoop in the scrap bin around the back as sometimes there is something worth salvaging some parts from, usually speakers and mains leads etc

Today resting in the sun I saw my old nemesis ! I took great delight in leaving it to it's fate...
I can't believe one has survived this long! I thought they had all blown up by 5 years old...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190629-WA0000.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	185913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190629-WA0001.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	185914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190629-WA0002.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	185915  
Old 29th Jun 2019, 6:19 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Not saved!

Looks quite stylish.

ICC5 chassis, I presume?
Old 29th Jun 2019, 6:19 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Surely not a nice Pioneer deck in there?
Old 29th Jun 2019, 6:57 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Yes I looked at that deck the mat and headshell are missing . I thought it was one of the later plasticky ones so I left it.
Yes the telly is the infamous ICC5!
Old 29th Jun 2019, 11:55 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Today resting in the sun I saw my old nemesis ! I took great delight in leaving it to it's fate...
When I read this I expected to see a Fidelity AVS2000

Mine is still in working order on all systems, probably the only one left in the UK - fast becoming a real collectors item

Just waiting for John to tell us about the council tower blocks with the non-working lifts and the smelly stair wells and the 16th floor balcony.....come on John!
Old 30th Jun 2019, 9:28 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

SO DID I ! Come back ICC5. All is forgiven. If the words FIDELITY AVS 1600/2000 appear on my computer, a hooter blows as a warning so that I can take avoiding action.
Will they ever die? John.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 12:47 pm   #7
jayceebee
Heptode

Ready and waiting for you Slider. Go on, you know you want to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICC5.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	185957  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 12:58 pm   #8
Nanozeugma
Heptode

ICC5 - Spawn of Belial - entirely worthy of the purchase of a sledgehammer.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 1:03 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

Actually hardly anything a good soldering iron and a bit of flux can't fix *ducks away*
Old 30th Jun 2019, 1:22 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Ha Ha ! Yes that brings back supressed memories! I was tempted to take it home just to see if it still worked! But only for a second or so!
My friends company installs a lot of new sets for a local department store. They are often asked to take away old equipment so not everything in the bin is a beyond economic repair. I have had various equipment from the skip over the years that has been faultless, just not the latest model.

To put it into perspective and to get an idea what a terrible unreliable pile of junk the ICC5 was you only had to consult the repair guidance books. We had these for the field engineers as they gave a list of all the common fault symptoms on popular sets with a guide as to what the lightly component failure was. they were useful especially to the younger chaps in helping to decide if the repair was worth attempting in the customers home or if it was best to return it to the workshop for bench attention.

Most models had a page or two dedicated to the chassis some much less.

Then you got to the ICC5.. It was like the Old Testament! Chapter one page one... In the beginning... Often however there was no light...just a fizz and a phut..

I think there was approaching twenty pages of common faults I can remember commenting about it at the time.

The problem with doing a chargeable repair was that we guaranteed the work so when the set failed with a different fault you had to either repair it free of charge or try to convince the customer that it wasn't the same problem as had been previously repaired.

When you are trying to run a busy repair workshop you just didn't need problems like this.

We applied 'the Amstrad Superwide method' to these sets we quoted high to repair so if it bounced back we had some funds towards the second repair . We would often offer to part exchange the set "for spares" then we could sell the customer something decent. The for spares sets went on the trade disposal pile when they were not too old but quickly others realised they were a bad lot and they remained on the pile.

At that point they were dispatched straight to the skip with great delight!

At least the F******y AVS was repairable...

Alan Sugar described stuff like this as "Mug Attractive" it looked good and a lot for the money to the average lorry driver and his wife.. (His words not mine) Recently quoted by Nick Hewer..

Rich.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 1:33 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

As stated before ,the last ICC5 chassis I had the misfortune to appear in the workshop got thrown across it!
Old 30th Jun 2019, 3:36 pm   #12
FERNSEH
Dekatron

It's a shame that the Ferguson 59P7 has gone to the crusher, or what ever else has happened to it. Way back in 2007 I suggested that the 59P7 was a near Predicta lookalike. OK. it has the dreaded ICC5 chassis but we're not under any pressure to fix it like we were when the set was in a customers house and the demand was to fix it quick and do it on the cheap!
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=14524

Quote Maarten: "Looks quite stylish. ICC5 chassis, I presume?"
The 1988/9 range of Ferguson TVs were in terms of styling a vast improvement over the previous bland looking things that the company was making.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 30th Jun 2019 at 3:45 pm.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 3:48 pm   #13
slidertogrid
Octode

Would you like it? I can call my mate and ask him to save it tomorrow if you like? I promise I wont hit it with a sledgehammer...
Old 30th Jun 2019, 3:53 pm   #14
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Slidertogrid,
Thanks for the offer. The trouble is I have too much stuff and anyway I'm 250 miles away in my safe haven in Geordieland.
Surely a Forum member will come forward to save it? It'll rekindle memories of the last days of the TV servicing trade.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 30th Jun 2019 at 4:17 pm.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 4:25 pm   #15
slidertogrid
Octode

Yes I appreciate that, to be honest my offer was a little tongue in cheek!
However I have contacted my mate and he has agreed to get the set, he says he will drop it off to me on his way home tomorrow afternoon.
I will offer it on the forum to the first person who can collect it from me in Peterborough, if no takers it can go back to where it came . At least I can say I tried... And to be honest it's more than it deserves in my opinion...
Old 30th Jun 2019, 4:25 pm   #16
jayceebee
Heptode

Go on then I'll give it a home, I really don't have the room and sure to get earache from SWMBO but for a 24" they're quite compact. If it's still there and you can hang on I can collect it on the evening of the 11th or 12th of July as I will be in Derby for those days.

John.

Edit. Post crossed.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 4:26 pm   #17
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
It'll rekindle memories of the last days of the TV servicing trade.

DFWB.
Yes but not good ones...
Old 30th Jun 2019, 4:29 pm   #18
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Go on then I'll give it a home, I really don't have the room and sure to get earache from SWMBO but for a 24" they're quite compact. If it's still there and you can hang on I can collect it on the evening of the 11th or 12th of July as I will be on Derby for those days.

John.
Ok John, It's yours subject to it arriving here! Drat! Now the thread title needs changing to "Saved"!

I will report back tomorrow.

Rich.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 5:06 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Thanks for the offer. The trouble is I have too much stuff and anyway I'm 250 miles away in my safe haven in Geordieland.DFWB.
'Chicken'...Feeble excuse David. Come on, yer talking to uncle John hear. Just admit you've forgotten how to take the back off the thing..John.
Old 30th Jun 2019, 5:45 pm   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"Chicken'...Feeble excuse David. Come on, yer talking to uncle John hear. Just admit you've forgotten how to take back off the thing.. John."

Hi John,
It's easy to remove the back, it's the horrors that's inside the set.
Evidently, the ICC5 chassis was introduced in the continent in 1986 so by the time it reached these shores it was a well tried and tested design.
Can't understand why nobody likes this chassis.

DFWB.
Closed Thread