UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2017, 9:57 pm   #1
Retro-valve-guy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Question about CRT picture tube

Okay so this is a Grudnig Zauberspiegel 53T has about 17 tubes in it and i have a question about the crt itself, never camed acroos one that had a theme like this one, kind of a weird color picture tube and was wondering if its normal being like that

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig...53_luxust.html

So does the picture tube look fine ?, Im just worried that the weird color could be the result of air that leaked into it ??

And the guy wants 100 euro for it,I know its a risk for that money buying it without being able to test the picture tube,but can maybe inspect the insides,
I offered 50 euro and havent heard back fro him yet

so ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig T53 Luxus (1).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	136875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig T53 Luxus (2).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	136876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig T53 Luxus (14).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	136877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig T53 Luxus (12).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	136878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig T53 Luxus (4).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	136879  

Old 2nd Feb 2017, 10:16 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Question about CRT picture tube

Some tubes had implosion guards bonded onto the front with an optically transparent adhesive. Some camera lenses have elements bonded together this way too. The adhesive can go off and suffer fungal infestation. This has that sort of appearance.

Some tubes were coloured to enhance contrast, but I don't think an uneven colour would have helped sales.

David
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 10:37 pm   #3
Retro-valve-guy
Retired Dormant Member

The picture tube itself looks fine ? its only on the outside ? can that fungal infestation affect the picture, is it like Cataract on a color tube ?

Can it be cleaned

Also what do you mean by unevean color ?*?
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 10:49 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There is a possibility that the inside of the Perspex implosion screen is just very dirty.
I don't think they produced 'bonded tubes' in the 17" size. Maybe the whole cabinet was dirty and the guy cleaned it for sale leaving the cigarette smoked screen alone being inaccessible to him.

Nothing is guaranteed unless you remove the back and have a look. It certainly is a strange colour but I have seen similar where a whole family smoke. John.
Closed Thread