UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2019, 12:40 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Waltham W154

I bought a Waltham W154 a couple of weeks ago (Mainly for the radio and tape deck) to work on, and I hadn't used it as I didn't have a suitable power cable for it.

Today I was given a sky box and I realised that the cable COULD be suitable for the Waltham (Waltham is 240v 50hz, Sky box is 230v 50hz) so I thought I'd give it a try to see if there were any signs of life.

There was!

Everything is working, TV, radio and cassette deck (slightly, ever so slightly disappointing - I was looking forward to working on it!)

My question is:
Are there any components, caps, resistors etc. to look out for which could go wrong? I'd like to be able to use this set for all three functions so I'd like to make sure it's safe to use.

Edit: I'd also like to ask, will the Ever Ready battery pack be safe to charge and use, too?

Thanks!
Old 26th Feb 2019, 3:22 pm   #2
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Waltham W154

Hi,

I think if it were me i would leave well alone, I'm not saying that it wouldn't benifit with a once over inspection, but if it's working OK as you say it is then it is best left alone.

And a word of advice, the television section will use miniature style components, basicly a much more scaled down version of what was used in ordinary sized TV's, so a word of warning, if you must insist on opening the cabinet, you're likely to inherit more problems by disturbing something than you bargained for.

Just enjoy it for what it is....

Paul.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 4:32 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Waltham W154

Hi,

I have decided to leave it and do short tests on it.

I know the tape player works, as does the TV. The radio is a little iffy.

Even the battery pack works! I put it on charge for a little while, whilst keeping an eye on it, then decided to test the set and all worked.

I did open it up when i first got it, making sure nothing hit anything inside, all looked fine, although I dont know 100% with the radio as part of the PCB is covered with the tape mechanism.

I will enjoy it!

Thanks for the reply
Closed Thread