UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2017, 10:29 pm   #1
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Default Finally a successful set

Hi,

Finally I can post pictures of a working set...

Last year I posted about my G11 where the fuse on the mains panel kept blowing. I sent the set to Forum member acotrell for repair. He initially tested the tube and it tested brand new so we were off to a good start, he sorted the blowing fuses and he was presented with a frame collapse so new frame chips were installed after this there was a tuning fault and the tuner was replaced. All seemed to be good at this stage until the red gun went in the CRT, he tried boosting it but no luck. He returned the set to me and after a few days a G11 showed up on online, this set was much nicer than my original set with its consolette cabinet and tambour doors. I purchased the other G11,with my fingers crossed the tube would be good, when it arrived the new set was working but the A1 voltage was too high and there was no sound. I transplanted the chassis from my set into the new cabinet but muddled up one of the plugs on the decoder panel so I had to send the set out to be repaired again, this time to a man named John. He sorted the plugs out for me (no shorts surprisingly) and converged the tube for me. All the set needs now is refinishing any tips would be appreciated.

Now the set is in operation most mornings when I watch the Saint

Kind regards,

Ryan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4217.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	137013
Old 5th Feb 2017, 9:09 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Finally a successful set

Make sure that the 470uF smoothing capacitor has been changed for the latest type with non-riveted connections. The new type should be blue, the old type was usually red. If this isn't done, it can mean death to the tube and frame output chip!
Old 5th Feb 2017, 9:53 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

Didnt realize the G11 was available in such a big cabinet. I'd have though when the G11 was launched, tambour doors would have been rather old-hat.
Both us and my best mate had G8s when we were little. His parents upgraded to a G11, we just had a new tube in our G8. His G11 looked so much more modern with curved woodgrain effect 'rosewood' vinyl and black control panel. Our G8 was a huge teak box with doors and the slanted silver-grey buttons. Proper TV's !!!
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:02 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I really liked the G11 chassis, it was one of the best for servicing and was very reliable though not as good as the later K30. The Philips service manuals were excellent as well with coloured sections on the circuit diagram for clarity. I always remember the buzzing sound emitted around the field output stage and scan coils. This could also afflict other makes of TVs that employed the otherwise good 20AX tube. I've a soft spot for 20AX sets, Philips G11, ITT CVC30/32, Decca 100 and dare I say a RRI T20!

The most common problems I encountered with the G11 were dry joints on the line scan panel, faulty mains on/off switch, problems with the field output IC's holder and occasional problems with the screened EHT lead. The diode split LOPTx was a beauty and I don't ever remember having to replace one. I did come across a couple of sets that needed the tube base socket replacing. The focus voltage was being pulled down due to internal leakage possibly because of moisture ingress. I had the same issues, more so on the RRI T20 chassis which used the same Pressac 20AX tube base socket.
That nasty red Pye smoothing capacitor on the power supply board could also ruin the line output transistor and as Sideband mentions replace this on sight.

Regards
Symon
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:11 pm   #5
1955APREN
Hexode

Hi Ryan.

Pleased to hear that you have a working set at last. It seems to have been a long struggle over the last year. Hope it works well for you nice sets, but as Sideband says make sure that the 470uF cap on the power supply board is a blue one.

Kind regards, Derrick
Old 6th Feb 2017, 6:14 pm   #6
davidh1041
Pentode

Hello Ryan
Do you have a manual for the G11? If not send me a PM with your address and i will send you a spare one i have.
Regards David
Old 8th Feb 2017, 11:14 am   #7
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up about the 470uF capacitor, I'll check it when I get home!

Hi Kevin, I've seen quite a few G11's in large cabinets, quite surprising as the large cabinets do add on quite a bit of depth to the TV's and I agree the tambour doors do seem quite old fashioned for the time the TV was released.

Hi Derrick, it has been a long line of dead sets but you know what they say every cloud has a silver lining

Hi David, that manual would be very useful, I shall send you a PM with my address, thanks.

Kindest regards,

Ryan
Old 9th Feb 2017, 3:13 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

Though I used to service the G11 by the hundreds, years ago, I cannot remember the working voltage of that 470uF capacitor.

But why use a new old stock when surely you can get one of these which would probably be more reliable.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread