UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2014, 3:17 pm   #1
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replace the insides...eek! (Bush, Defiant).

I have a bush Type62 and a Defiant 7A91?
The insides are completely gone (smashed) so I would like to keep the cabinets and replace the tube and workings with a more modern set up that has a video input.
I have tried various old PC CRT monitors but nothing quite fits. The screens are sort of different sizes.
Have also tried early Portable TV innards.
Some screens nearly fit, and would do, but I would need to butcher the mountings (especially on the Bush) to get it to sit in and then construct some kind of new mountings!
So has anyone had any experience of doing this sort of thing before and who could offer any advice or tips etc.?
The sets I want to convert would be used for exhibitions etc. so also need to be more reliable than a restored valve set with all that that entails. Would also like it to be as cost effective an operation as possible.
***I only use very broken TVs... Honest!.... and I make sure the original parts go to someone who could use them!!!
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 4:12 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Replace the insides...eek! (Bush, Defiant).

As the cabinet is otherwise useless, why not remove the redundant mountings if it means success? Old PC monitors, even newer smaller LCD, are virtually valueless these days.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 8:22 pm   #3
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

The Mountings, especially in the Bush are an integral part of the cabinet and I'm a bit scared of chopping off bits of Bakelite.
We will if we have to.
Mountings on the donor Screen are not a problem!

The main problem is getting a screen size that looks like it may have been there originally. Older screens are a bit more bulbous and slightly different in shape.
Its easy to stuff any old monitor in the case but I would like it to look at least passable from the front, authentically speaking.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 9:46 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I think earlier tubes were 4:3, and later ones 5:4, so there will always be some discrepancy.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 11:03 pm   #5
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

That sounds about right!
I wonder when things changed and whether any solid state sets were made with this aspect ratio? ..and perhaps with 625lines?... or was the line change something to do with the aspect change too?
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 11:30 pm   #6
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I think earlier tubes were 4:3, and later ones 5:4, so there will always be some discrepancy.
Earlier tubes were round. I don't think rectangular tubes ever came in 5:4 ratio.
Early transmissions were 5:4 but the change to 4:3 came long before the change to 625 lines.
Old 4th Sep 2014, 8:37 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

I rebuilt an early 50's Pilot TV using a 14" CRT colour set, it had already been badly butchered when I got it.
I had to modify the CRT mountings to get an acceptable fit, but the end result was pretty good.
The set is now in use in an exibition.
The rebuild of this set can be seen here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=90619

Mark
Old 4th Sep 2014, 11:21 am   #8
Brigham
Octode

A very workmanlike rebuild of a Durabrand TV. Especially the modifications to male it fit an existing, earlier cabinet.

From a mundane nondescript refugee from Freecycle, you've made an excellent 'retro-style' TV.
Old 5th Sep 2014, 8:33 pm   #9
Compo69
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
The rebuild of this set can be seen here
That's pretty nice, Its going on my list of things that might work together!
I convert lots of old stuff to play audio and video for Museums and Galleries!

...and does everyone get their CRTs from Freecycle?, where would we be without it since they stopped you taking them from so called recycling centres (dumps!)
Old 5th Sep 2014, 8:44 pm   #10
llama
Octode

They crop up frequently on our local groups. However, be aware that in many (most?) areas, the dominant "free-recycling" is the Freegle network.
Graham
Old 6th Sep 2014, 8:49 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I realised that I had it the wrong way round shortly after I posted - apologies!
My point is the aspect ratio of a TV62 will not match a 'modern' CRT.
Old 6th Sep 2014, 9:02 pm   #12
Andy Green
Hexode

The BBC changed the aspect ratio broadcast in the early 50s, but sets continued to be approximately 5:4 ratio until the early sixties, I think it was mainly to do with tube manufacturing technology. Details are on a website somewhere but exactly where escapes me at the moment
Closed Thread