UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2017, 6:58 am   #1
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Panel legends using OHP transparency

I cannot recall who on this forum suggested reverse printing onto OHP transparency to provide panel legends.

I tried this recently and got a very good result, except for the difficulty of fixing the transparency to the instrument. You have to glue or otherwise fix the inked side, and that invites damage or unevenness. If it isn't fixed well, and the transparency lifts even slightly, then the 'white' areas (which are transparent) develop blurry shadows.

Well I think I have a possible solution. After printing, and after allowing a while for the ink to dry, I stuck an A4 white adhesive label, adhesive to ink, onto the transparency. This provides a protective back for the ink, a white backdrop for the transparent areas, and a surface that is easily and safely glued to the instrument. And if the combination does lift from the panel at any point, then there is no shadow to give that blurry look.

Last edited by Karen O; 28th May 2017 at 6:59 am. Reason: Typo
Old 28th May 2017, 5:56 pm   #2
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Panel legends using OHP transparency

Excellent idea!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 31st May 2017, 7:49 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

In fact there is (3M brand IIRC) a transparency film with a self-adhesive backing made,
designed to be used with photocopiers. The adhesive backing is translucent.
Old 1st Jun 2017, 5:29 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

But how would you reverse print onto the adhesive side? Or would you use two layers with top print on the first?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Jun 2017, 5:43 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I've always found that the mounting hardware of controls etc. secured the transparency well enough, together with some sort of edge trim. You could, however, use Spraymount or similar adhesive if necessary.
Old 1st Jun 2017, 6:24 pm   #6
kellys_eye
Octode

There are vinyl print shops on many high streets that will print straight onto adhesive vinyl in UV resistant inks that are highly robust (my van signs lasted years without fading or de-laminating).

Not sure if they'll do a print so 'small' but worth looking into to get full colour, robust panel prints - get a collection together and have it done on an A1 (or larger?) sheet for cutting/distribution perhaps?
Closed Thread