UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2017, 4:08 pm   #1
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Cavalier

Hi Folks

I wonder if you could provide me with some advice. I have a Hacker Cavalier GP15 which is working well, and my mono records sound fantastic. I have some modern stereo records, and do not want to damage them with the slightly heavier arm. I am considering purchasing a Lenco 69 and want to know if it is possible for me to plug the Lenco into the Hacker, and if so, what kinds of leads would I need ?

Kind regards Kevin
Old 12th Aug 2017, 6:39 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Cavalier

Well you can connect an external turntable, but you would need to fit a ceramic cartridge to the Lenco's arm, not a MM. You would also need to bridge the Lenco's cartridge to Mono. I would leave well alone. If you have a Garrard AT6 in your Cavalier, this will not harm stereo records as you can set the tracking weight to as low as 3.5 to 4 grams. What cartridge is in the Cavalier at present? It's likely to be stereo or stereo-compatible. If stereo, it will be automatically bridged.
Old 12th Aug 2017, 10:37 pm   #3
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the response Edward, the deck is an AT6 Mkii A, I am not sure what the cartridge is, however the needle is an LPS ST8 which I believe is stereo. I am not sure how to set the tracking weight, it was set up when I purchased the player. I would be happy to replace the cartridge if it will save my records.

Thank you again for your support

Kind regards Kevin
Old 12th Aug 2017, 10:53 pm   #4
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Update, I have checked, it has the original Garrard Headshell that was supplied with the deck

Thank you Kevin
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:26 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

You can put many makes of cartridge in that head shell, can you provide photos of the cartridge, Many on the forum will probably recognise it and be able to advise.

Frank
Old 13th Aug 2017, 9:11 am   #6
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Frank

Thanks for your help, I attach a photo of the cartridge, hopefully its good enough for someone to identify

Kind regards Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	147804  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 9:32 am   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Looks like a BSR X3M.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 9:58 am   #8
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Lawrence, thanks for the identification... Is that good or bad ?? do I need to replace ?

Kind regards Kevin
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:05 am   #9
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I know it's ok to play stereo records using the X3M no need to replace unless it's faulty.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:10 am   #10
GeoffK
Heptode

The original Goldring Lenco GL69 HI-FI deck has a tracking weight of 1-1/4 grams with a moving magnet cartridge such as the Shure M75ED. This is the ideal weight for keeping stereo microgroove records in their best condition. The new Lenco 69 with USB output is presumably what the OP is mentioning, doesn't give any details of the tracking weight but it does have a built in pre-amplifier for connecting via Phono plugs to the line input of an amplifier.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:11 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

See if you can see the type number on the white plastic moulding of the cartridge. As advised, it should have the letter "M" in the designation. If the letter "H" is there, it's the wrong type. The ST8 stylus has a rather stiff suspension and would be better replaced with BSR ST12 (higher compliance) stylus. Easily available. This will be far better for your Stereo LPs. If you are not going to play 78s, get a LPS/LPS tipped version. To balance the Tone-Arm, unscrew the sliding weight adjuster on the arm and set it to 0 and re-tighten the screw. Then unscrew the counterweight at the end of the tone arm so that the arm hovers completely horizontal to the platter. The unscrew the counter-weight and slide forward to between 3 and 4 and then re-tighten. All should then be set well. Try this and let us know!
Old 13th Aug 2017, 11:57 am   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In my penulitmate sentence above, I should have said sliding adjuster and not "counterweight", sorry. I should also have added that you slide the counterwight back and forward to achieve the ideal horizontal position and then tighten it again. The counter-weight should hang down vertically, not at an angle. If you eventually decide to use a modern Lenco L69, you will need to use the Input marked "Radio/Tape" at the rear of your Cavalier and use a twin-phono to single-phono connecting lead so as to provide a (bridged-stereo) mono signal.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 12:51 pm   #13
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Edward

I have looked closely, and cannot see a letter on the cartridge, however can see a small crack through the body, so it is probably a good time to change. Any recommendations regarding type and provider ?

Thanks all again folks, I am keen to keep the player as it is, as I love the warm sound it produces.

Kind regards Kevin
Old 13th Aug 2017, 1:27 pm   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If the exisiting cartridge is sounding OK (it's a stereo-compatible mono type so ideal for the player) just change the stylus as suggested and enjoy the benefit of a brand new stylus.
However, if you are determined to change it, go for a BSR X5M stereo-compatible mono, or a BSR SC12M or 12H or 11M stereo where some bridging in the detachable pick up head will be needed i.e. RH+ to LH+ and RH- to LH-. They will cost c.£40.00.
Be prepared in that you may not be able to hear much sonic difference as compared to a new stylus in the old cartridge.
It's up to you.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 1:30 pm   #15
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

Or if I decide instead to go the Lenco route (which would be the old version, which I believe does not have a pre amp) my understanding from reading old posts that I would need a long reach single to a modern reach twin phono, is that correct, and if so, where would I purchase this kind of beast ?, and would the lack of a pre amp cause a problem ?.. wow so many questions

Last edited by Garrard 209; 13th Aug 2017 at 1:45 pm.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 2:11 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you used a (1960/70s) Goldring GL69 you would need to fit a new stereo-compatible or stereo Ceramic cartridge (the types are advised above) into the tone arm if a Moving Magnet (MM) one is already fitted. Or use the MM with a seperate pre-amp. You don't need a "long reach" connector, only about 1.2M, if you are to site the Goldring next to the Hacker. It needs to have a single phono plug at the Hacker input and whatever the Goldring is terminated with which may be hard wired, DIN a or Phono. If yui fit the Goldring's head with a stereo-compatible mono cartridge then you do not need paired stereo cabling. There may be some slight "insertion loss" (especially when using "long reach" cables) with this arrangement and personally I think the GL69 arm will be no "kinder" to stereo records than the tubular tone arm you already have in your AT6.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 4:18 pm   #17
Clydeuk
Hexode

It is an X3M. The X3M (Medium output) is white/cream. The X3H (High output) is yellow.

As long as it's working there is no need to replace.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 5:51 pm   #18
Garrard 209
Retired Dormant Member

You folks are so helpful, thanks for providing me with a couple of choices.

Have a great weekend (what's left of it).

Kevin
Closed Thread