UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2017, 12:52 am   #81
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Bygone manufacturers of amplifiers used by musicans at performances.

I remember Hiwatt, their late founder was one of our customers for Red Lion (GEC) KT88s.
You may find this link interesting;
http://www.chambonino.com/workconst.html
Old 8th Aug 2017, 7:51 am   #82
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone manufacturers of amplifiers used by musicans at performances.

MM mentioned in the opening post.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 12:35 pm   #83
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
Saw a name from the past in post #57 and that's the Otis amplifier. From memory, this was the brain child of the guy behind Rauch power amplifiers. Also, I believe Ben Duncan may have had an input into the design. I have one in the workshop.
I should have thought of Rauch in connection with this thread seeing as I have one sitting on the studio floor at the moment. They did two ranges, the expensive DVT models and the cheaper Power Blocks which, from a quick trace through the circuit of mine, looked very close to the standard Hitachi MOSFet data book design.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 6:24 pm   #84
Omegaman
Hexode

Another two..
Nichols. Only ever seen the one. Glad I took some pictures before it went. Made by Ken Nicholls in Leyton, London.

Elgen. Tony Merrill owned Elgen amps in High Wycombe. I believe Peter Frampton used them for a while. Very nicely made gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0293.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	147598  

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 10th Aug 2017, 7:33 pm   #85
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Crikey, not seen one of those Nicholls amplifiers in what’s got to be 40 years or more. I remember one of those coming into Roost for a service. Can’t remember who owned it, but seeing Leytonstone is only 30 miles from Southend it’s highly likely one could have been used by a group based in the Southend area.

When I first started work at Roost we used to service other manufactures amplifiers to help local musicians. Although not of British origin I remember a Ackuset PA system, once owned by the band Love Affair coming into to the workshop for a service – but this is heading off topic….

Going back to post #83 and the Rauch amplifier, from memory it was the Hitachi circuit but using an symmetrical emitter follower stage to drive the MOSFET's.

Terry
Closed Thread