UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2020, 12:14 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Fine Abrasive Polish Reccomendations

Hi Folks,

Im wondering if anyone can recommend a fine abrasive polish to get a nice glossy shine on polyurethane, or any finish for that matter. This is for the FINAL polishing stage.

I have an ongoing project and some bits are complete in terms of varnishing, so Im working out what is needed to finish the pieces.

I have already sanded with very fine sand paper to denib, which naturally left a hazy appearance. I have now used T-Cut, which has removed the hazes, but hasn't returned much if any gloss, its quite satin in appearance. I imagine this is because its a lot harsher as it is meant for scratch removal.

Would any car polish do the job and shine this up?

Many Thanks
Adam
Old 29th Sep 2020, 1:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Fine Abrasive Polish Reccomendations

There are two different T-Cut formulations, the standard one and a finer one marketed for use on metallic finishes.

Have you tried metal polish like Brasso?
Old 29th Sep 2020, 1:13 pm   #3
BRASSBITS
Hexode

what grade paper did you use?
Old 29th Sep 2020, 1:51 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

I used 2000 grit paper for the de-nibbing, and it was the regular T-Cut. As far as finishes go, it doesn't look BAD as such, its just when you go to months of effort to achieve the high gloss polyurethane provides, you don't really want to settle for something that's very dull by comparison.

I haven't tried brasso yet, I thought I'd ask some opinions before trying another product
Old 29th Sep 2020, 2:33 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

Brasso is pretty good. A friend who was a professional photographer once recommended using it to remove scratches from the shiny side of negatives, and it worked well for me.
Old 29th Sep 2020, 3:03 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Amongst car enthusiasts, standard T-cut is regarded as very abrasive, often used on something you are about to sell, because the way it works means that it often looks bad after a couple of months! That said, I have used it on a plastic face shield and on the plastic covers of meters with quite good results.

Autochrome polish is good, but comes in small tubes.

The Meguiars range of car polishes is highly rated, especially the "Ulimate Compound" which you will find in the usual car places. It's what I use on my cars; don't recall using it on plastic - should be very mild.

B
Old 29th Sep 2020, 4:18 pm   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

I have just cleaned my UPVC window sills with car plan triplewax, they had a rough feel to them and red dots something in the atmosphere I guess ,1500 micro fine disk to apply the paste by hand , I was very pleased with the results. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0024.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	216671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0025.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	216672  
Old 29th Sep 2020, 5:03 pm   #8
BRASSBITS
Hexode

after 2000 paper you use 5000 w+d polishing is all about making the scratches smaller before final polish
Old 30th Sep 2020, 9:11 am   #9
PsychMan
Octode

Sure, I seem to have done that via the backdoor with T-Cut!

I might try some meguiars products and see how I get on
Old 30th Sep 2020, 11:22 am   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

An automotive paint/refinishing factors like Brown Brothers will stock a range of professional polishes suitable for the purpose, often quite a bit more-cheaply than buying from Halfords etc.

In the past I've used a very fine cutting-compound called "Farecla" obtained from such a place, with rather impressive resukts.

[Interestingly, Brown Brothers started life as a wholesaler of radio gear in the early part of the last century!]
Old 30th Sep 2020, 11:25 am   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've two things to say. Firstly the quality of final finish and the amount of work required to get it was greatly reduced when I stopped using polyurethane and went to the new 'milky', water based varnishes.

I use 'Micro-Mesh' sanding pads that come in a set of nine grades from 1500 to 12,000. I use each one in turn then by the time you get to polishing there are no scratches to remove. Even 2000 grade leaves scratches that will take a lot of time and effort to remove using polish. Then if you've used it you've got the nasty clogging effect of polyurethane to contend with.

After that, T-Cut, Brasso, whatever.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 12:23 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

-Is 'flour paper' still available- and how fine is it?
Dave
Old 30th Sep 2020, 1:01 pm   #13
Michael.N.
Pentode

Most (if not all) of these liquid type polishes are rottenstone/tripoli powder in a carrier. They tend to break down and become finer as you use or work them. Liberon do a burnishing cream that will give you gloss, it's petroleum based. Rustins do one that is water based. Novus and Meguires too. They all work. If you want to use the cabinet as a telescope then you'll probably have to use a powered buffer otherwise it's just a lot of hard work.
If you really want to go fine try toothpaste or tissue paper. Tissue paper has a 'grit' but I can't remember what it is. I think I'm getting a bit silly.
One of the common mistakes is to jump to the next grit before you've removed the scratches from the previous grit. Those scratches will carry right through and you'll have a mighty hard time removing them until you go back to the correct grit. You shouldn't need to go past 2,000G + the liquid polish. Use the papers wet with a drop of washing up liquid in the water. Don't rub through! - although virtually everyone has.

Last edited by Michael.N.; 30th Sep 2020 at 1:14 pm.
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 9:43 am   #14
crackle
Rest in Peace

You can get polishes to refresh the surface of plastic car headlights. Lamp Doctor is one brand.
MIke
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 1:14 pm   #15
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

As it's polyurethane, you might try one of the plastic polishes available. We used to use "Goddards" or "Greygate" for polishing out light scratches on Lightning aircraft cockpit canopies. Dunno if Goddards is still around, but Greygate certainly is.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 6th Oct 2020, 12:18 pm   #16
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks for comments folks.

I've ordered some 5000 grit wet and dry paper. A lot of effort was needed with T cut after 2000, so seems logical to add another sanding stage. Then finally some sort of meguiars car polish.

As much as a pain as polyurethane is, I've enjoyed the challenge, and it does teach you patience.

As I apply my final coats to various sides, I have each piece assigned a letter (A,B,C etc), and use a notebook to write down when each coat is applied. Its easy to lose track with many pieces on the go. I've found even thinner coats require more than 24 hours to recoat, despite what the tin says. Thicker coats more like 2 weeks +.

I'm really liking the results I'm getting, but will definitely try other varnishes for the next project. Perhaps those you mentioned Steve.

What I would really like to learn one day is French polishing, but I think I could use a break from finishing before I try that!
Old 6th Oct 2020, 4:46 pm   #17
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
You can get polishes to refresh the surface of plastic car headlights. Lamp Doctor is one brand.
MIke
Agree with Mike here.
When I had my Rover 75 its lights were quite cloudy. I started off with 1000 grade wet and dry and eventually down to I think 5000 paper but still there was no real gloss to the surface. I then bought a headlight polishing kit, it had lots of different grades of paper and creams. There was a rotary pad and attachment for a drill and boy did this work. The lights were like brand new.
I don't remember the make but a search online should reveal a similar kit.
Old 6th Oct 2020, 6:52 pm   #18
terrybull
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
and red dots.
Red spider mite. I get a lot on my upvc frames. It’s tough to remove.
Closed Thread