UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2018, 6:07 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Ekco TMB272 TV switch.

Hello does any one have a ON/OFF - brightness - volume control please.
The switch contacts are burnt, virtually nothing left, and the brightness control intermittent, so I am afraid beyond rescue.
Thank you very much.
Cheers.
Geoff.

Sorry, model correction, should be.
TMB275.
Thanks.

Last edited by Geoff 555; 9th Jun 2018 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Missed out a letter in title.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 6:32 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Octode

Default Re: Ekco TB275 tv.

Shouldn’t the model number be TMB272? The 12V/240V “portable” set.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 1:22 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco TMB275 TV switch.

Yes probably, sometimes I wonder why I bother, old age I am afraid, I did look the model up and in between looking at the sheet and typing the thread out, a matter of a minute, I got it wrong AGAIN.

My sincere apologies to all.
TMB272.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 2:58 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco TMB275 TV switch.

Values? Shaft length? I presume it's a concentric control. I have a few RS replacements so I can have a look through them but I don't know the values you want.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:43 pm   #5
Restoration73
Octode

Default Re: Ekco TMB272 TV switch.

Brightness (outer) 50k lin, Volume (inner) 500k log w/dpst switch. The 50k may respond
to cleaning. It is possible to "marry" the bright pot to a long spindle volume pot if
you can turn down the spindle to 3/16" on a lathe, and grind a flat on the end.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 9:23 pm   #6
simpsons
Hexode

The Radio Museum has an article which although speaks of a repair to a volume control could well be the answer. "Repairing old potentiometers"

It calls for the replacement of the track from a donar control. Similarly, the on/off can be made serviceable. This, at least, would allow you to keep the concentric control and fixing arrangements as per the original.

Chris
Old 13th Jun 2018, 9:54 pm   #7
simpsons
Hexode

I've just seen on eBay a concentric dual control for Russian radio "Stereo Dual 2 Gang 4.7M Ohm Potentiometer" for just under a tenner which, with a little craftmanship, could be the basis for a donar control.

Also Fender Guitar amps use them see Rich Tone Music.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 13th Jun 2018 at 10:06 pm. Reason: Additional information
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:51 am   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Many thanks to all. The track on the volume control will need replacing, it is completely worn out. The brightness control responds to a 'squirt' but only for a short time. There is not a lot left of the switch contacts.
These faults were noted a few years ago and I decided not to strip the thing apart again just in case something broke and it became scrap.
Now I have been given some further help then it will be stripped and sorted.
Many thanks again, confidence was somewhat lacking and a 'push' was needed.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread