UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 4th Jun 2022, 10:52 am   #2781
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

This is what we all need

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eh.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	258347  
Old 4th Jun 2022, 12:19 pm   #2782
Valvepower
Octode

Ah, listening apparatus No37a, which was designed for the more discerning Gentleman audiophile.

Quickly, attached one of Terry Gilliam’s listening apparatus I found on the net. I figure this will need some interesting equalization, to account for the unorthodox ‘listening position’

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	montypythonillustrations2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	258354  
Valvepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2022, 3:17 pm   #2783
duncanlowe
Nonode

Now here's one that popped up when I wasn't looking. From what I can see it's a standard BS 3 pin plug, bit with only the Earth pin. And three bits of wire. Because someone thinks that it's better to ground your interconnects to the supply. Pretty sure it won't meet the relevan BS as it could easily be insterted upside down and open the shutters. I Suppose it's a bargain at £155.
https://www.atlascables.com/acc-grun-adapters.html
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2022, 4:55 pm   #2784

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Castle View Post

This guy, (who's name incidentally is Guy, a perfectly nice individual), claimed that true perfection will only be attained when the source can be connected directly to his speaker system, dispensing with the superfluous intermediate technology.

I thought that source to speaker was already widely available in a wind up gramophone, no superfluous electronics in the way!
Sssh... I know you're correct, but if the gurus could be convinced that the king is in a new suit of clothes, the potential audiophool revenue could be immense. I'm already drafting designs for the stereo sound box and twin tube tone arm, I just need to get the tracking weight under a quarter ton.
Old 6th Jun 2022, 4:57 pm   #2785

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Now here's one that popped up when I wasn't looking. From what I can see it's a standard BS 3 pin plug, bit with only the Earth pin. And three bits of wire. Because someone thinks that it's better to ground your interconnects to the supply. Pretty sure it won't meet the relevan BS as it could easily be insterted upside down and open the shutters. I Suppose it's a bargain at £155.
https://www.atlascables.com/acc-grun-adapters.html
£155 to get common mode noise into your signal grounds, and dangerous too. What's not to like?
Old 6th Jun 2022, 5:07 pm   #2786
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
This is what we all need

Craig
I'm certain I've seen similar equipment featured in the cloudbusting video by miss Kate Bush!.
Greg.
Old 6th Jun 2022, 7:24 pm   #2787
Radio Wrangler

It's part of a coherent earthing system.

It is, of course, very important to get your zero volt reference precisely in phase with all other things at zero volts.

David
Old 6th Jun 2022, 7:53 pm   #2788
its ur aerial
Hexode

Is their actually punters out there who buy this stuff ?
Ken, G6HZG.
Old 8th Jun 2022, 10:03 am   #2789
knobtwiddler
Octode

If you've spent time in certain hifi emporiums, you'll find that the concept of fuses, plugs and cables having a 'sound' is accepted wisdom. The further up the price bracket you go, the more prevalent the ideology. The realiity in the marketplace could not be more mutually exclusive from the scientific reality.
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2022, 12:37 pm   #2790
wd40addict
Octode

£155, far too cheap!

https://www.russandrews.com/superrou...ature-edition/
wd40addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2022, 12:53 pm   #2791
The Philpott
Dekatron

Post 2772-
Somehow i have become inured to the prices, but the concept of a Cher album as a sound source for high-end audio has me floored. I can barely 'Believe' it. Over-production that even Buble would baulk at. Surely that's music that's effectively intended for dot and dash digital reproduction, CD, MP3, etc.

Dave
The Philpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2022, 12:59 pm   #2792
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
That earth box is missing the coal.
See post#11 in this thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=140332
http://www.mableaudio.com/en/productview.asp?sid=6036

Last edited by Refugee; 8th Jun 2022 at 1:13 pm. Reason: To add link to original photo
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2022, 4:59 pm   #2793
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
This is what we all need

Craig
I'm certain I've seen similar equipment featured in the cloudbusting video by miss Kate Bush!.
Greg.
An acoustic direction finder - quite a clever piece of kit for its time (1930's/40's).
The apparatus in the Kate Bush video looks like a prop incorporating parts from the Japanese version.
The best design was, unsurprisingly, the German one. It was used in conjunction with an accompanying searchlight to give the operator an aiming point before turning the light on.
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2022, 6:23 pm   #2794
Radio Wrangler

Our side also made some big concrete parabolic reflectors... quite visible from the air. Said to be a cover story to account for aircraft detection by radar.

David
Old 13th Jun 2022, 7:26 am   #2795
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Our side also made some big concrete parabolic reflectors... quite visible from the air. Said to be a cover story to account for aircraft detection by radar.
They pre-date radar ....

The Dungeness mirrors, known colloquially as the "listening ears", consist of three large concrete reflectors built in the 1920s–1930s.

Acoustic Mirror
Richardgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2022, 8:55 am   #2796
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Post 2772-
Somehow i have become inured to the prices, but the concept of a Cher album as a sound source for high-end audio has me floored. I can barely 'Believe' it. Over-production that even Buble would baulk at. Surely that's music that's effectively intended for dot and dash digital reproduction, CD, MP3, etc.

Dave
There's no phool like an audiophool...
Ted Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2022, 9:02 am   #2797
Richardgr
Heptode

On the subject of choosing a good source for demonstrating the level of audio reproduction, I suppose CDs are the best. Is there a preference for AAD, ADD or DDD? I was thinking that DDD is probably the best for being free of recording artifacts, but it does not mean we have to like the music, I suppose.
Richardgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2022, 9:24 am   #2798
ajgriff
Nonode

I'm not a Cher fan but good quality analogue recordings of female solos can be useful when testing pick-up cartridges partly because of the dynamic range of the female voice. Also such recordings will often highlight a problem with sibilance when other sources do not.

Alan
ajgriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2022, 3:26 pm   #2799
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
On the subject of choosing a good source for demonstrating the level of audio reproduction, I suppose CDs are the best. Is there a preference for AAD, ADD or DDD? I was thinking that DDD is probably the best for being free of recording artifacts, but it does not mean we have to like the music, I suppose.
The more relevant issues are:

Since the introduction of mass digital audio media (the CD) in 1982, the trend in studio equipment speed and capability has followed a similar trend to computing power. So digital mastering is a very different thing now as compared with forty years ago.

Then there is the quality of the mastering and mixing engineers....

Craig
Old 13th Jun 2022, 3:48 pm   #2800
knobtwiddler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
You forgot to link to the review: https://www.russandrews.com/superrou...nature-review/

You spend decades studying the art of designing electronics for audio and then this fool comes along and decides that some aspect of your amp isn't up to his liking, probably because of his room and general state of mind that day. Who'd want to work in that industry?

Quote:
“With the Super Router installed, I was able to take a deep breath and relax. The edges had gone, the midrange opened up to add finesse the delicacy, bass offer an organic performance and the harshness that lived in my soundstage was kicked out of the nearest door.”
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote