UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:35 am   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Solar 12v charger.

Recently stopped charging. Blue light does not flash and only 8ma máximum at 17v. There are 14 plastic plugs to drill out but what would I be looking for inside? Diodes? Has anyone else fixed one of these? I think leaving it on charge while running a small 3w fan may have been the cause!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	265722  

Last edited by Pete_kaye; 7th Oct 2022 at 8:41 am.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:50 am   #2
davidw
Heptode

Default Re: Solar 12v charger.

I had a "Maplin" version of this. The connections to the glass panel failed on mine..
The "plastic plugs" are (were on mine) just covers over screws and could be popped out with a pointy tool!
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:51 am   #3
joebog1
Banned

That must be the back of the unit. Isnt it?.

Joe
Old 7th Oct 2022, 9:06 am   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

Same one , I think. Here is the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	265724  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 10:18 am   #5
Pete_kaye
Octode

I’ve opened it up and there is a tiny board with a resistor (5k) and a diode. The 2output wires were still connected but broke soon after . Diode , LED and resistor seem good( 170 mv, 4K in circuit. What causes the LED to flash when charging?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1039EB25-27DD-44C6-B15F-41C93AAD924E.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	265726   Click image for larger version

Name:	92DE4894-D1DB-4F85-919C-24D02BAC5B72.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	265727  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 11:18 am   #6
ex seismic
Heptode

You used to be able to get LEDs with in-built flashers, is it one of those?
Old 7th Oct 2022, 12:58 pm   #7
Pete_kaye
Octode

Guess so . It used to flash only when enough light and just stay on otherwise. I have just discovered that the fuse has failed too. It is 250v 1a. Original sheet says 0.5a . I remember now fuse failing a few months ago too. Perhaps down to me for connecting fan while on charge. It is a 20mm fuse.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 6:15 pm   #8
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

I had a maplin one to trickle charge the battery on our Smart car but was never sure if it did the job so would be interested to know how you got on with yours Pete (when it was working).

On mine, the blue LED would flash whenever it was in good sunlight even without load connected.

Rog
Old 7th Oct 2022, 7:12 pm   #9
duncanlowe
Nonode

The quality and output of panels varies a lot, as does the control. Low power panels don't need the control as the chance of them boiling a battery of significant capacity is pretty well nil.

I have a slightly better panel than the most basic but still no controller used. It's a help in replacing some of the charge due to quiescent load, but as it gets darker for longer certainly won't support that load completely. It just allows longer periods between looking after the battery properly. Another one of the same panels was used on something of my Dad's and helped to prevent the battery discharging to the extent where damage occurred. Although the battery got low enough, my Farnell 1kW PSU soon put charge back in after lockdown.

I have another application, again with quiescent loads. That has a 100W panel attached, and even though its placed horizontally and partially shaded, keeps the battery in top condition all year. That does have a proper charge controller to avoid overcharging.

So, solar chargers work to varying degrees. Power and regulation when needed is everything! At the end of the day, you need a panel that is capable of supporting the quiescent load you are managing, and providing enough spare to put back what is used when the sun isn't shining, plus any self discharge characteristics of the battery.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 7:55 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

I have two of these chargers. The output lead has a tendency to pull away from the inside, breaking the connections to the panel. A basic solution is to gaffer tape the lead to the outside surface to act as a strain relief. The LED flashes when enough light hits the panel, under strong light, it glows continuously.
Neil
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:10 pm   #11
paulsherwin

I also have one of these in the garage somewhere. There's not much in them, just a protection diode. They're designed to charge car batteries, and rely on the fact that lead-acid batteries are happy with a trickle charge even when fully charged. They're also not going subject the battery to a major charge current given UK weather.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:36 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I think the idea was to top up the car battery in the depths of Winter, sun dependent of course, not weather proof or mine certainly was not.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:47 pm   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I once bought something looking much the same from Maplin. Even on a sunny day, and aimed right at the Sun, it produced negligible power.

B
Old 7th Oct 2022, 8:56 pm   #14
paulsherwin

The idea with them was that you plugged them into the cigarette lighter and put them on top of the dashboard. They would then trickle charge the battery every day that the car was parked up and unused. This could actually be quite useful, as lots of cars had and have a small current drain.

As per forum policy and rules, strictly no automotive discussion please.
Old 7th Oct 2022, 10:11 pm   #15
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The idea with them was that you plugged them into the cigarette lighter and put them on top of the dashboard. They would then trickle charge the battery every day that the car was parked up and unused. This could actually be quite useful, as lots of cars had and have a small current drain.

As per forum policy and rules, strictly no automotive discussion please.
This is what my Uncle did everytime he went to Rome for a few months, he would leave the panel in the window and it kept his car battery charged.
He doesn't need the solar panel anymore, he's now a Priest.