UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2022, 8:50 pm   #1
LEdington
Diode

Default Vintage HMV 1629. Value?

Just wondering if you could possibly help with pricing two items up for me.
His Masters Voice model no. 1629 & 1618a
The 1629 is in working order but I’m unsure if the other is. It’s a neighbour that’s selling them both as they are moving to France and held an open house today. They were going to sell the 1629 for just £150 which I thought was far too little and I’m just trying to see if they are worth more so they can gain a better price.
Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D9E85B9-BD19-49B2-B018-1D5A7A309562.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	265533   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7968B4B-5C6D-4451-8AD8-FF9B7E0AEE3D.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	265534   Click image for larger version

Name:	B01A49FC-1DF1-47CB-A2DF-5FA5E555454C.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	265535   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5CD492A-364A-48D4-B6AA-AA0C9E7D37B1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	265536  
Old 1st Oct 2022, 10:21 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage HMV 1629. Value?

Hello and welcome Lisa,

Frankly, if I had the 1629 and needed to find a new home for it I'd be delighted to get £50. Radiograms in general still aren't much appreciated at all, there are still a surprising number of surviving examples, and modern homes and fashions are such that not that many people are keen to accommodate one: I've seven in the sitting room here, ranging from 1929 to the late '60s, but we're an anomaly. Eventually things may change, but as far as I know as yet success in disposing of a post-war radiogram generally means finding someone who wants it and who may or may not be willing to contribute a fairly nominal payment for the privilege of having it around.

We've a "sticky" on the subject, written in 2008 and with a footnote from 2015:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=26411

Paul
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 1:45 am   #3
Michael Maurice

I recently restored a 1618b for someone. This one had FM radio and an HMV/Plessey deck.

The deck was beyond repair because the gears that were used for speed change were totally knackered and I couldn't get replacements, so after discussion with the customer, it was decided to fit a Garrard AP76 with a magnetic cartridge and a preamplifier.

On these radiograms there is a separate switch for Aux and LP/78 equalisation. I removed the aux socket and fitted a bluetooth.

The whole power amp was rebuilt with new caps and resistors, many caps were replaced in the tuner section including the trimmers.

It cost its owner a lot of money.

Who ever takes either of these on will need to do a lot of work to it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 8:17 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

My own opinion is that you will be pushed to find owners for these, even for free. The reason? They're huge and collectors just don't have the space. Furthermore, and to be bluntly frank, they're simply not very desirable, collectable units. Your best bet is to find a seller of 'period' items as they may be of interest to someone who wants one to sit in a corner of their 40s/50s style house. Your dilemma is a common one on here, such large, low interest radios are very difficult to re-home and have very little value. Sad but true.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 10:05 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, the 1629 is the more, er, "ususable" of the two as a stereo-compatible cartridge can be fitted to the 4 speed autochanger. The earlier 1618a has an older, clunky, 3 speed Plessey deck which is not so easy to adapt. And indeed, you would be lucky to get £50-00 for the 1629 and much less if anything for the 1618a. And both of course are not Stereo units.
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 12:33 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Sadly, I have to agree that both these radiograms are of very little value. Possibly someone with a 1950s themed home would be interested, but given the size of them and the attendant transport problems involved, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Ebay would probably be your best bet, with a starting price of, say £10 each.

Barry
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 12:40 pm   #7
LEdington
Diode

Thank you to everyone for your input. I’m just quite saddened that these kind of units don’t fetch a much higher price tbh. The 1629 is absolutely stunning just as a piece of retro furniture alone. I guess I have my head in the clouds….or I appreciate nice looking things haha

But thank you all again

Lisa
Old 2nd Oct 2022, 1:05 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Lisa, try advertising them on here, it's free. I'm not promising that anyone will buy them, but you never know, someone local may be interested. Not sure if you have to have posted a certain number of times to use the items offered for sale section.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 6:28 am   #9
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Lisa, Not sure if you have to have posted a certain number of times to use the items offered for sale section.
No you don’t.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread