UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2022, 1:53 pm   #1
GrahamRounce
Diode

Default Ferguson 208UL Aerial?

Hi - I recently got one of these, supposedly not working. After re-attaching a wire in the mains plug, I was hopeful, but damn, not a sound!
After a while I had a brainwave, switched it on again and this time let it warm up...! I'd forgetten about that! Took me back decades!

Anyway, it worked but was very weak. So I stuffed one end of a long (5ft or so) wire into the socket on the back. There was a slight improvement, but not as much as when I gripped the socketed end of the wire in my fingers.

It was then listenable-to, but still was distorted, and only would receive a couple of stations.

My question is, what should I do to give it a decent aerial?
Apparently, a wire is supposed to be wound round the 4 tabs on the back, but what kind of wire, and how many turns, I don't know.
Also, the socket only has one connection. Is that normal?
In fact, see the pic, the word "Aerial" is actually nearer to the little notch in the back cover than the socket. Is that something?

Assuming it will work with a good signal, what kind of aerial would it like, and where to connect it?

Thanks very much for any help.
Graham Rounce
London E2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_133016.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	257476  
Old 19th May 2022, 2:14 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 208UL Aerial?

It looks wrong to me - the 208UL should have a flying lead coming out from the little notch, which you refer to. Someone's been modifying it!

It's a simple radio this is, a 'short superhet' and as such is a bit lacking in gain. Despite this, it's a really cracking performer, thanks to good front-end design with far fewer compromises than many other sets.

The four tabs on the back, by the way, are just to wind the aerial and the mains lead around, when carrying the radio (it's a transportable).
Old 19th May 2022, 4:46 pm   #3
GrahamRounce
Diode

Ah, I see!
Someone has fitted the socket and connected it up to what was the flying lead. That seems sensible. Shouldn't cause any problems?

So I'm back to a wire plugged into that socket. Is it a case of the longer the better, and the higher the better? Any old wire?
Thanks again,
Old 20th May 2022, 11:51 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, yes longer, high if possible and any old wire.
Old 21st May 2022, 9:25 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Anyone else think a 208UL should really have a Luxemburg button
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 12:49 am   #6
GrahamRounce
Diode

Edward: Will do, then. Thanks
Old 3rd Jun 2022, 11:01 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamRounce View Post
Hi - I recently got one of these, supposedly not working. After re-attaching a wire in the mains plug, I was hopeful, but damn, not a sound!
After a while I had a brainwave, switched it on again and this time let it warm up...! I'd forgetten about that! Took me back decades!

Anyway, it worked but was very weak. So I stuffed one end of a long (5ft or so) wire into the socket on the back. There was a slight improvement, but not as much as when I gripped the socketed end of the wire in my fingers.

It was then listenable-to, but still was distorted, and only would receive a couple of stations.

My question is,

My question is.....has this set been restored in any way? A poor aerial will not usually cause distortion BUT leaky capacitors will! As it's been identified as a short superhet, the usual and very damaging (if leaky) audio coupling capacitor will not be present (at least not to cause damage) but there are still capacitors that will probably require changing.

If no work has been done then there are some checks and probable repairs that need to be made before it can be used safely and reliably.
Old 1st Jul 2022, 10:25 am   #8
GrahamRounce
Diode

Hi - I'm a bit bored with this now, and it's taking up space. Does any *longstanding member* want to take it away? Bethnal Green. Please respond here in the first instance. The above responders come first!
Closed Thread