UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 13th Nov 2018, 3:50 pm   #121
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

No wonder they come fitted now! It's not rocket science to fit a plug, these days however "lighting a match" science seems beyond most people.
Old 13th Nov 2018, 11:08 pm   #122
Richard_FM
Heptode

I remember my Dad calling them a "bad design classic" due to the wires needing to be cut to different lengths, & he's certainly not lacking in the DIY department.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 5:47 pm   #123
Humptydumpty
Pentode

I know this is an old post. Thinking about this I don't see any mention on the plug the plugs are for AC or DC use just 240 volt etc. and that goes for the equipment it is used on.
Humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 7:56 pm   #124
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I remember my Dad calling them a "bad design classic" due to the wires needing to be cut to different lengths, & he's certainly not lacking in the DIY department.
Oh come on, if the only 'problem' is that the wires have to be cut to different lengths?! Who finds that so difficult?

Of all the mains plugs from around the world I've yet to see a better one than the UK one. The American one is a joke, it falls out of the wall if a butterfly lands on it.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 11:46 pm   #125
turretslug
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
No wonder they come fitted now! It's not rocket science to fit a plug, these days however "lighting a match" science seems beyond most people.
I agree- too many fire investigators' and coroners' reports must have had significant bearing on the moulded plug legislation, and it's unfortunately likely that many of those who suffered would have been innocent parties. Similarly, I think that it's likely that the current talk of making appliances more easily repairable is likely to run into the sand for much the same reason. There must be almost a generation's worth of inexperience at appliance mending now!

It's easy to sneer at the "similar length cores" quandary if one has spent a fair chunk of working life making up complex bespoke multi-way connector leads (e.g me!) but again, many manufacturers left equal length prepared and stripped ends on mains leads and it's unsurprising that Joe Average would simply have wired in as-found, likely leaving the earth wire as the first to be subjected to mechanical stress in the majority of plug designs. More justification for moulded-on plugs....
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 7:16 pm   #126
duncanlowe
Hexode

I do understand the issue of fitting plugs. To us it seems easy. When I was younger I remember looking at a couple of things where my younger brother had put on the plugs. One was L-N crossed, the other N-E crossed (which gave some really odd symptoms). Thank god he never got L-E crossed. He's not a stupid person, and in fact these days trains Openreach technicians (let's not go there please) but if he couldn't wire a plug I can understand how some could easily make it quite dangerous. I also remember when I worked in Woolies, little old ladies buying a table lamp and plug, and asking us to fit the plug, which we weren't allowed to do.
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:04 pm   #127
ColinB
Heptode

Might be an odd question, but why was equipment ever sold without a plug fitted to it? It must have been obvious that one would be needed immediately it was bought, before it could be used...

I know in the olden days there were a few different types of sockets floating around, but even then fitting what is most suitable would have made sense, wouldn't it? Surely more recently the 13A plug has been pretty well universal?
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:09 pm   #128
duncanlowe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Might be an odd question, but why was equipment ever sold without a plug fitted to it? It must have been obvious that one would be needed immediately it was bought, before it could be used...

I know in the olden days there were a few different types of sockets floating around, but even then fitting what is most suitable would have made sense, wouldn't it? Surely more recently the 13A plug has been pretty well universal?
I guess that is exactly it. I never thought of myself as that old but I remember a fair old mix in my younger days. Round pin plugs were common, though we had the 'modern' ones in our house. When we cleared my Grandad's house, his vacuum cleaner had a very odd plug on it. Then it just dragged on with no plugs fitted even where the modern ones were massively in the majority.
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 9:50 pm   #129
emeritus
Nonode

In the mid-1960's our house (really two flats with a common front door, 8 rooms) had 3 x 15A, 1 x 13A, 1 x 5A three- pin sockets, and for the rooms with no sockets, a double switched BC adaptor in the light socket with a pull cord for operating the light. A friend's house had 2 pin 5A sockets in every room except the kitchen, (3 pin 5A and 15A) , and used 2 pin 5A plugs with captive 2 pin to BC adaptors so they could also be used in light sockets. One aunt had two "Wandsworth" gauge sockets for which additional plugs and adaptors were unobtainium, so 2-way BC adaptors in the light socket were used. Another aunt's prefab bungalow had at least one 5A three pin socket in every room, but when they were re-housed in a pre-fab house in the early 1970's, it had 13A D&S sockets in every room. Probably accounts for my early interest in plugs and sockets!

By 1975 everyone had been rewired with modern 13A sockets.

Last edited by emeritus; 11th Jan 2019 at 10:04 pm.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 11:12 pm   #130
Richard_FM
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post

I guess that is exactly it. I never thought of myself as that old but I remember a fair old mix in my younger days. Round pin plugs were common, though we had the 'modern' ones in our house. When we cleared my Grandad's house, his vacuum cleaner had a very odd plug on it. Then it just dragged on with no plugs fitted even where the modern ones were massively in the majority.
I guess it suited manufactures to save a small amount per item by not fitting plugs, & also suited people like my Dad who had a few spare plugs around to reuse rather than spend a few more pence buying a new one.

I remember the likes of Comet used to have a supply of new plugs by the counter for customers to pick out a plug when they came to pay.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 1:11 am   #131
gramophone1
Pentode

All things considered, there are a lot of choices for mains plug, and depends what your using them for.

Instead of using MK , I have found Permaplugs to be excellent. Very robust.
gramophone1 is offline   Reply With Quote