UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:13 am   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default That Little Broken Plastic Bit

Hi

This isn't really a Vintage post but I've found this stuff a real boon for repairing/manufacturing those little broken plastic bits. I'm not associated with the makers in any way incidentally.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...c--a-thermal-/

It's a plastic that melts in hot water - it can then be moulded like plastercine - when it cools to 62 degrees it hardens to a useful nylon that is hard wearing and can be tapped and drilled. When 'hot' it sticks to other hot plastic parts readily - better than any glue as the parts seem to polymerise together.

Not much cop in hot valve sets unless it is a cool spot.

You could repair those tuner fingers, dials, shaft couplers, kids toys, etc. with this stuff. Possibly better than scratting around for spares. You can also make nice component clamps, etc.

I've just made a clip rack for holding my BNC cables. The plastic is flexible if moulded thin enough. I just press the cable into the clip - then pull it out to release it!

Have Fun

James
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:43 am   #2
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: That Little Broken Plastic Bit

Rapid Electronics sell it (polymorph), it is very useful to keep in for energencies:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Education...4/kw/Polymorph
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:51 am   #3
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Oh yes - made some nice bespoke coil former/bobbins with it too.

Was a lot like baking a pie, the stuff rollers flat and you can knife and cut it with scissors when 'hot'.

James
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:04 pm   #4
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder if you could use this for moulding knobs? Create a mould and then fill the mould with this plastic. I am missing a black knob (the smooth type) from a black DAC90. I wonder if you can colour the plastic?
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 4:19 pm   #5
SeanStevens
Octode

Nylon can be dyed - this may be the same

SEAN
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 10:56 pm   #6
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Yes you can dye it - seek out the MUTR.co.uk link for their description. They will try to sell you a quality 'food dye' but you can always try other dyes. You would have to work the colour in - in the same way that all plastercine colours eventually end up purple!

They warn against heating the stuff till it runs, as it gets very sticky at higher temperatures (Hot Melt) - it would be like naplam without the flames. If you touch it you wouldn't get it off your hands until too late.

My thoughts would be to make a splittable plaster mould, fill with the granules and gently heat in a microwave till they melt into place. But they are my thoughts only! I advise against anyone doing it (Health & Safety). But if I did I would ensure no water got it as that steams out and makes mould holes - and scary pops!

The stuff takes up mould detail very well.

James
Closed Thread