UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2006, 8:28 am   #1
bobhawkes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Repairing DAC90A loudspeaker fixings

Hi All, Thanks for the useful replies on my other thread. I have another problem with my DAC90As in that a couple of the bosses moulded into the case that the speaker clamps screw into have broken.

My thought is to rebuild these with epoxy of some sort and then drill and tap new screw holes. What I am worried about is that the repair will not bond strongly enough to the bakelite and will pull away under the weight of the speaker.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 9:44 am   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Repairing DAC90A loudspeaker fixings

Hi Bob,

I've always found that epoxy, such as araldite, always bonds extremely well to bakelite.

I would be worried about drilling and tapping into the cabinet in case you went too far . If it was me I'd epoxy studs into the damaged mountings and secure the speaker with nuts

Regards
David
Closed Thread