UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2006, 10:39 pm   #1
bobhawkes
Retired Dormant Member

Default DAC90A Tuning scale edging

Hi,

I'm new to restoration and glad to have found such a great website - full of useful information. Well done. My immediate problem...

I have 2 Bush DAC90As that I am restoring - probably sell one and keep one. The tuning scale has a rubber/platsic edging that has deteriorated on one of these and gone brittle. Does anyone know where I can get a suitable replacement?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 1st Feb 2006, 1:43 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DAC90A Tuning scale edging

Hi Bob and welcome to the forums.

Those rubber bits on the tuning scales will be found on virtually all old radios where the scale is glass and on many perspex-scaled radios too, although the latter often use nothing more than lengths of cream coloured sticky tape. The answer to your question is simple - make your own replacements. You can cut pieces from something like a rubber glove, a bicycle inner tube or even from pieces of cable pvc outer sheathing. That used on 3amp mains cable is ideal; remove a length of sheathing, cut a slit in it and away you go. I've even used bits of insulating tape, often with two or three layers to obtain a suitable thickness. Thickness is quite important; to protect the glass and also to prevent the scale from rattling about loose. Good luck with the DACs
Old 1st Feb 2006, 7:12 am   #3
bobhawkes
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Darren. I had thought of making my own but it looks like the sort of channeling that would still be made for some purpose or another. I like the idea of mains cable insulation.

Bob
Old 1st Feb 2006, 7:57 am   #4
PWH
Heptode

Sometimes I use sticky back foam insulating tape like draught excluder in black or if I want a more authentic look I buy rubber trim such as for windows etc from car accessory shops. and cut to size. I must say I like the idea of sheathing from maims cable, hand't thought of that.
Old 1st Feb 2006, 9:00 am   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, it is available, when I worked at Ferranti we used for the edges of panels as a protection and for covering "raw" edges, made by one of the gasket manufacters but which one I'm not sure.

HTH
Ed
Old 1st Feb 2006, 9:17 am   #6
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Try this chap. I have bought some from him before.
Hopefully he still has some.

It's a little pricey @£1.50 a length, I think it is worth it though, as it is the correct square section stuff.

http://www.valvedwireless.co.uk/
Old 1st Feb 2006, 9:24 am   #7
DON THOMSON
Retired Dormant Member

Ian Liston-Smith in his article in the BVWS Bulletin(Winter 2003) says he got his from Camber TV. I've been to the site: Camber TV & Video Centre, 01797-225457 (daytime). East Sussex (T).

Don
Old 1st Feb 2006, 7:02 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'd be wary about using anything self-adhesive on the scale, as the glue may eventually attack/pull off the screen printing.

Hacker transistor sets (e.g Sovereign, Herald) used self-adhesive foam around the upper and lower edges of the Perspex tuning scale, and they all look awful now

And if you didn't already know, Bob, treat the scales with great respect. Clean the reverse with nothing more than a slightly moist cotton bud in the transparent areas only, and be ever so careful that your screwdriver doesn't slip when removing/re-fitting them. Damage is suprisingly easy to cause (even if you're experienced), looks horrid when the scale is illuminated, and can spoil the whole look of your finished set.

Nick
Old 1st Feb 2006, 11:00 pm   #9
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Greenhouse black glazing bead - perfect (square U section). Although you may have to buy about 50m .

Jim
Closed Thread