UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2005, 9:00 pm   #1
Ian G4HJM
Retired Dormant Member

Default Spire Nuts, removal of.

Ferranti U1003,

The wooden panel on to which the loudspeaker is fixed is attached to the main cabinet with several of these rectangular push-on fasteners. Whats the best method of removal without wrecking the cabinet ?

regards
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	push_on.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	2047  
Old 21st Nov 2005, 9:24 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Push on fixings -- removal ?

I use a very fine screwdriver, or a pair of needle nose pliers, and gently ease the small teeth back - the clip then falls off.

To refit you just need to squeeze the teeth back down, and push onto the stud with a nut runner.

Cheers
Sean
Old 21st Nov 2005, 9:47 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
I use a very fine screwdriver, or a pair of needle nose pliers, and gently ease the small teeth back - the clip then falls off.

To refit you just need to squeeze the teeth back down, and push onto the stud with a nut runner.
That's exactly what I do, but you make it sound so easy, Sean. I find them a real PITA!

Nick.
Old 21st Nov 2005, 9:58 pm   #4
Station X

Sometimes it's possible to thread two lengths of thin strong wire under the lugs. Pulling on the two loops formed will then often allow the 'spire nut' to be pulled off.

Another method is to grip the sides of the nut with pliers and screw it off by turning and pulling.

Graham.
Old 21st Nov 2005, 11:43 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ILN
Another method is to grip the sides of the nut with pliers and screw it off by turning and pulling.
That's how I normally remove them. You just have to be careful not to snap the post off. Some sets have pairs of posts so if one does snap you can put the clip on the adjacent one.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 1:55 am   #6
paulsherwin

As Paul says, it's very difficult not to snap the plastic posts. The fact that there are often 2 posts suggests the makers didn't expect anybody to remove these successfully - you can disassemble once, then that's it

When the post breaks the clip will fly through the air and it's easy to lose it.

I managed to break *all* the posts securing the speaker in my KB MR10, and had to fabricate new fastenings from long nuts and Araldite.

Good luck, Paul
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 12:12 pm   #7
Sam
Hexode

Some of the things I have which use those fasteners have a post with two flats on it. You can then give the clips a quarter-turn so the clip then slides off the post.

Sam
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 5:51 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I either use iron binding wire from a florist, or push a cheap pair of tweezers under the lugs.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 7:10 pm   #9
Ian G4HJM
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for suggestions.

I tried the pulling with fine wire technique first, result was the easy removal of four out of five fasteners. The last one seems to have been pushed really firmly up to the wooden board and the two little clips have bitten deeply into the post.

In the end I snapped the post, but as suggested, there is an adjacent unused post; so all is not lost. !

Again, many thanks for all those very helpful suggestions.

regards
Ian
Closed Thread