UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2017, 11:21 pm   #1
ahgough
Retired Dormant Member

Default Embarrassing problem with a Mission Cyrus One

Hi everyone,

I have a rather embarrassing problem... one of my cats has relieved itself on my beloved Mission Cyrus One, and it's no longer working as it should It switches on and I can hear something through the speakers, but the sound is very faint and tinny.

I've yet to take a look inside, but before I do so, what are my chances of repairing it? It's not entirely dead, so I have hope.

Any pointers for likely problems to diagnose, components to focus on etc., would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks for not laughing... much.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 11:25 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Embarrassing problem with a Mission Cyrus One

How long ago did this happen? Have you given it time to dry out completely?

Urine (cat and human) is mostly water.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 11:41 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

But the components which aren't water get left behnd as the water evaporates.

The best game plan is never to even try anything that's been wet with anything other than nice clean water. The conductivity of most fluids can apply improper voltages from neighbouring PCB tracke and components and result in damage.

It should have been carefully washed and dried before applying power. Some components like pots won't survive a wash, but they won't survive cat pee either, so wash soon and replace the bits that won't take it, dry carefully and try power.

David
Old 27th Mar 2017, 9:44 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A large sable brush will help. Let it air dry. Whilst there are spray-on odour removers, don't use these in case of any chemical contamination to the components/PCBs.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 2:49 pm   #5
Station X

Ideally distilled water should be used for the washing. Tap water leaves residues behind.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 3:09 pm   #6
Mooly
Octode

I've seen this scenario countless times unfortunately.

The only lasting fix will be to thoroughly wash the affected area with hot soapy water and then rinse and dry. Corrosion sets in quickly and it's a fact that even when a unit appears OK, mysterious faults can return weeks and months down the line. Even soldered joints that are affected will appear dull and 'granular' and refuse to take fresh solder easily.

Its not all doom and gloom but you need to be prepared to put the work in to fix this now, cleaning the board and print and replacing any parts that have seen even the slightest contamination.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:18 pm   #7

Googled it, I do like the PCB mounted sockets. Looks like an easy thing to wash, rinse in the end with boiled (cool) water. Much cheaper than de-ionised and just as good regarding deposits. If the pretty lighting up bits (front panel) work I would disconnect them and wash the PCB only, a squirt of contact cleaner in the switches and pots afterwards and all should be well.

Old 27th Mar 2017, 5:52 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Air conditioner / dehumidifier runoff is free of minerals -- and you have already paid for it through your electricity meter!
Old 27th Mar 2017, 7:22 pm   #9
paulsherwin

It must be well on the way to drying anyway by now, so I would let it finish and see what happens. Wee is PH neutral and the chemicals present in small quantities are unlikely to do any harm. The SAS are trained to use urine as an emergency wound cleaner.

If the problems continue, or the smell is a problem, the OP has access to nice soft Yorkshire water rather than the liquid chalk we get in these parts, so no need for distilled water, A/C runoff etc.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 8:23 am   #10
Mooly
Octode

For anyone unfamiliar with how this kind of damage progresses, these two shots (grabbed from the web) are absolutely bang on the money and typical of the kind of thing we used to deal with on a regular basis.

Needless to say that these are beyond repair as the board itself becomes damaged and corroded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	139965   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	139966  
Old 28th Mar 2017, 11:15 am   #11
mhennessy
Dekatron

Urine can be somewhat acidic. An incident here (long story) ruined the paint finish on a set of Raaco component drawers - stripping the paint and causing the steel to rust badly.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 8:38 pm   #12
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Exclamation Re: Embarrassing problem with a Mission Cyrus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Wee is PH neutral and the chemicals present in small quantities are unlikely to do any harm...
...healthy human pee may be neutral , but cats, being essentially carnivorous, have pH 6.5 to even pH 6 urine, Graham! That, of course, is up to ten times more acidic than human wee as this is a logarithmic scale...and that's plenty acidic enough to corrode components in short order!
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:52 pm   #13
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Someone I know with a moggy with similar tendencies managed to get on top of a wall-mounted and very large flat screen TV, and mark his territory. That was an expensive event.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:58 pm   #14
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahgough View Post
It switches on and I can hear something through the speakers, but the sound is very faint and tinny.
Maybe the cat has rendered the sound quality for its own hearing range

Seriously, take the lid off and wash everything with a toothbrush and soapy water. Then rinse with clean warm water. Shake off the excess, pat dry and put it in the airing cupboard for a few days.

Tektronix used a very similar process to clean oscilloscopes that had come in for repair. Both the valved era ones and the later 7000 series.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service_Scope_-_Washing_Your_Scope.pdf (268.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 29th Mar 2017, 5:09 pm   #15
Michael Maurice

When I was selling TV's, I would remove the chassis, CRT and other parts of the set from the cabinet and thoroughly was the cabinet, inside and out, with warm soapy water in the bath. Then I'd removed the LOPT and thoroughly clean the board(s) again with hot soapy water before letting them dry in the oven at 50 - 60 degrees.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 29th Mar 2017, 6:08 pm   #16
mark_in_manc
Octode

I 'worked' as a placement student for BBC radio for a summer or two. When a desk operator spilt coffee into the desk, we'd take along a spare channel strip or two, swap them out, flush the contaminated one(s) in the loo, and leave them on the radiator to dry. Often, that was it!
Closed Thread