UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2017, 11:29 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Replicating the gold finish on grilles and trims

I was wondering is it possible to restore the finish on the gold looking parts on the small 1960 transistor radio's . Mick.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:54 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Replicating the gold finish on grilles and trims

Gold acrylic paint and clear lacquer is the best I have achieved.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 4:12 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'd agree that gold aerosol spray and clear lacquer are about as good as it gets without going to a lot of time, trouble expense to anodise the parts, assuming that they're aluminium.

If you were deprived of a chemistry set as a child, you could always have a go at DIY anodising, provided the parts that you wish to be gold (or any other colour come to that, depending on the dye chosen), are aluminium. It's quite a fiddly time-consuming process, but doesn't need anything more complex than a battery charge and easily obtained chemicals.

There are lots of youtube videos on home anodising, but the well made three-part video below is as good as any. It's by a chap who is a member of the International Pen Turners Association, who turns rather nice aluminium pens and anodises them. The end result speaks for itself. He must have a rather accommodating wife as he does it in the kitchen on the cooker. If I do anything like that, I have a small electric hotplate for use in the garage:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDQVAP
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV

On vintage radios, the worst example I can think of for losing their original plating are the plastic 'B U S H' letter on Bush TR82s, which lose their silvering. Can't be re-plated at home due to them being plastic, and I've found nothing which comes close to the original finish. Despite having a bright chrome lid on the aerosol can inferring that's the finish that you'll get, so called 'Chrome' paint is just nafola - no better than 'silver wheels' spray. Dire, in fact.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 11:55 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

The problem with the gold spray and clear lacquer method is that the gold spray on it's own looks good, but is not durable. Spraying it with clear lacquer turns it into a muddy brown colour.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 2:08 pm   #5

If it is aluminium alochrome is a good gold finish, needs laquering, this doesn't dim the finish.

Old 11th Feb 2017, 5:43 am   #6
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Despite having a bright chrome lid on the aerosol can inferring that's the finish that you'll get, so called 'Chrome' paint is just nafola - no better than 'silver wheels' spray.
It begs the question: 'why can't they do the same process with the spray as they can with the lid'? but the processes clearly are quite different. The best you can get from those cans is a 'weathered aluminium' look!

It is false advertising really, they should spray the lid with the same product as the stuff they put in the can! There is a caveat on the can of course, which is probably what they rely on to keep them oout of Court

Billy
Old 11th Feb 2017, 7:20 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

I have to agree with that sentiment, particularly as I have a can of such 'chrome capped' spray paint that I was intending to use to refresh/restore the worn finish on a 70's hifi receiver facia tuning dial frame. Oh well, I'll have to give it a trial spray before using it. On the subject of whether they are pulling the wool over peoples' eyes with that caveat, my opinion is that if the finish on the can lid is appreciably different to what you can achieve when using it, that is to say if you spray another can lid does it look the same?, if not then there is a valid reason to complain about a misleading description. If you can't spray a plastic can lid to look the same, then there's clearly porkies in the air.
Old 11th Feb 2017, 9:56 pm   #8
tim.norris
Hexode

Re, "Chrome Bush Letters" , I`ve purchased some `Bare Metal Foil ` used by model makers for replicating Chrome on bumpers/trims /door handles etc for plastic and die cast models , there`s quite a lot of info on how to apply it ,plus videos on you tube. Haven`t had time to try it yet but i live in hope , hope this is of help , Regards, Tim.
Old 12th Feb 2017, 7:36 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with that foil Tim. Please let us know and include some links to products.