UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2016, 9:58 pm   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Control knob lettering

I need to re finish the front panel of a post war HMV set and am looking for a source of replacement control knob lettering (bass, treble, gram etc). The original is small stick on gold lettering about 4mm high. I'm ideally looking for someone who will supply the complete words in stick on form rather than just the letters - getting the latter evenly spaced and level would be tedious. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jonathan.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:03 am   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Control knob lettering

Try a signwriter.
These days, they work mainly with computer-controlled vinyl cutters, which will reproduce whatever they are asked to in pretty much any colour you like, including metallics.
The only question in my mind is how small a font they can handle successfully.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:50 am   #3
Nukeybrown
Heptode

You could try your hand at screenprinting
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 10:18 pm   #4
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Try
http://www.drytransfershop.co.uk/ (rubbish website)
or other railway modelling suppliers do very small transfers
Old 19th Jan 2017, 8:51 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Hi

any progress on this? Useful to know.

Wonder if this guy might consider this requiremnt http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1814623939...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(no connections).

B
Old 20th Jan 2017, 3:52 pm   #6
skodajag
Pentode

I've explored several options, along the lines of the helpful suggestions here, but all seem rather labour intensive with no guarantee of success. Although there was nothing very elaborate about the original application of lettering, even slight deviation from the original appearance quickly looks wrong. You know how it is: if you notice it, it probably means it's wrong whereas if you don't it probably means it's right.....So I'm trying to keep the original lettering and touching in where necessary.
Old 21st Jan 2017, 1:18 pm   #7
Argus25
No Longer a Member

The solution to the problem is Gold Letraset. You will have to hunt around on ebay to find the size and font that you prefer. It is becoming less common it seems, in the past the last lot I got was from Spain. It is best applied before the panel receives the final coat of varnish or polyurethane. I have used this extensively in prewar television restoration with great success and it looks just as good as the original.
Closed Thread