UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2017, 1:25 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Soldering iron run down timer

Purchased this Energenie run down timer a couple of months ago, as I have the bad habit of leaving my soldering iron on when I get distracted or not being used, this not only ruins the tip it also shortens the life of the iron. I purchased one of these and has proved to be excellent, not having to worry if I turned off the iron I now know I can leave it to its own devices, and sleep comfortable.
John
Old 26th Mar 2017, 2:08 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Soldering iron run down timer

My recent purchase of a 'cheap' temperature controlled iron from China has a movement sensor in the handle that switches it to standby if it's not moved for 20 seconds ( instant reheat if picked up within 2 minutes) and switches off if unused for 20 minutes..

I was pleasantly surprised at the functionality of the unit given its low, low price. Still going strong after a full year in use but i realise this is but a short time span!
Old 26th Mar 2017, 4:43 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Soldering iron run down timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
Still going strong after a full year in use but i realise this is but a short time span!
My budget-priced Aoyue is still good after ~6 years - but guess this will tempt fate.

B