UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2019, 8:30 pm   #1
LukeG83
Hexode

Default Beocentre 5000 unresponsive

I acquired a Beocentre 5000 today that was sold in working condition. I didnt get to test it and sadly when home i discovered this isnt the case. Im a bit upset as it cost a fair bit and was a present to myself for getting a new job, having wanted one for some time.

When plugged in there is a hum from the speakers but the control panel is unresponsive.

However pressing 'Turn' on the turntable will cause it to spin for 2 seconds before stopping. Also two LEDs are illuminted below the balance slider (under the metal cover for the tape deck). However as stated above no response to any othe buttons.

Such a shame as the unit itself is immaculate. Anybody here able to suggest some possible fixes please? Many thanks
Old 14th Oct 2019, 8:51 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Beocentre 5000 unresponsive

Hi Luke, the TURN sounds to be working, its to help you clean the record. Pressing PHONO should start the turntable (a record must be in place for anything to happen) same with the tape, Sorry if you already knew this.

John.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 9:04 pm   #3
LukeG83
Hexode

Thanks John, yeah sorry I did know that, but I appreciate the response.

I think that possibly the capacitors have blown in either the power supply or elsewhere from the basic research ive done online.

Has anyone here changed the capacitors? If so iw ould really appreciate some help with this. !
Old 16th Oct 2019, 3:50 pm   #4
Max Ripple
Pentode

These are super units,and usually very reliable too.The most common of the "usual suspects" however,is that the tape deck seizes due to perished rubber components.This may be jamming the drive motor and causing a bigger demand than usual on the power supply,which may be shutting down to protect itself.
Other possible problems could be due to plug in connector looms becoming displaced due to transit upset,or of course damage to pcb's.
Does it power up without 'speaker's connected?
Does the area at the right where the connectors are seem to be getting hot?
Are you confident to have a poke around inside the unit?
Btw,is the unit set for 240v?The setting carousel for this is under the unit.
Nick
Old 16th Oct 2019, 6:51 pm   #5
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi Nick thanks for the info and suggestions. I have tried without speakers and this makes no diffrence except that i obviously cant hear the hum from them which is present when they are connected.

I feel confident about dismantling the unit but hope to come to a comprrmise with the seller r.e. price i paid before delving in too deep!

Checked r.e. 240 voltage and its on that setting.

Is the tape controlled by a seperate pcb? If so i could disconnect this to try and eliminate this being the cause.
Thanks for the help will report back further! .
Old 17th Oct 2019, 11:06 am   #6
Max Ripple
Pentode

The Beocenter 5000 is modular,so you can disconnect the tape mechanism by simply unplugging it's wiring loom from the tape control board,which resides under the turntable section.You can even remove the mech complete by undoing three screws.
Service repair /refurb kits are available for the mech.
All the vintage B&O is designed to be repaired by employing logical assembly/disassembly methods.They even provided little metal prop's inside to support the hinged upper case sections while you explore .
It does seem as though a supply has failed,or is being overloaded somewhere?
There may be something obvious when you explore further.
I don't think that there is any service info available on this site for these unit's,but you should be able to find some elsewhere,and these will show the dismantling procedure
Nick
Old 18th Oct 2019, 10:45 pm   #7
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi Nick i disconnected the tape connection and tried the system without thia connectes and still no change unfortunately.
Old 19th Oct 2019, 1:01 pm   #8
Max Ripple
Pentode

This is where you need to "get technical"and take some voltage measurements etc,to establish what's going on.
If you are not confident to do this,I wonder if you have a B&O Dealer in your area,who probably has a technical facility or local repair Agent?
You need someone with B&O experience of course,rather than a general repair person.
Nick
Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:03 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Take a look at the thread started by RYAN1993 [26/1/19] "I have just bought a US Spec BEOCORD5000. I'm afraid, though, that Studio263's advice [he's a B+O expert] is helpfull but not very positive

Dave W
Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:08 pm   #10
Station X

Link?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:16 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm not competent with things like that Graham. In fact I couldn't get back to the thread using the search box and had to go into previous posts by Studio263 to even locate it [in January] again! It's not unusual for me to find things that don't come up in the search box but do via a general google search. I put this down to my computer incompetence

Dave W
Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:25 pm   #12
Station X

I just pasted the words "I have just bought a US Spec BEOCORD5000" into the Google search box at the top of the page. Clicked on the link. Copied the url from the address bar and pasted it into the post you're reading.

Here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=153472

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Oct 2019, 3:12 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Did the Beocentre 5000 and the Beocord 5000 use the same tape deck ?

John.
Closed Thread