UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2018, 1:00 pm   #1
ECS_TVM
Diode

Question Umatic tape goes slack - VO7630 & VO9600

Hi.

A similar problem I'm having on two machines, a 7630 and a 9600, is that the tape will lace up 99% of the way, and just at the end of the lacing up procedure, there's a click and the tape suddenly goes slack inside the machine.

Anyone know how to resolve that problem? Is it something I can do myself?

I have a mounting collection of faulty Umatic machines (five or six) and I could do with finding an enthusiast in London and the South East who can help me fix them.

To get them serviced professionally isn't really economical, the repairs cost £100 minimum, and the machines are only worth around that much. But I know some people who enjoy this kind of thing, repairing machines, and am hoping this is the kind of place I might find them!

Thoughts?
Old 9th Dec 2018, 6:29 pm   #2
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default Re: Umatic tape goes slack - VO7630 & VO9600

Hi, given the age of the machines, they will need a proper service, which includes replacing all rubber parts (pinch roller, idler tyre, drive belts), greasing & oiling necessary parts, cleaning and checking the video heads.
The pinch roller either develops cracks or goes hard & shiny. They are getting harder & harder to source. Belt & idler kits are available though. With parts & labour, it would be difficult to get one serviced for less than £150.

I am in south east London & used to service these. I do know someone else that would take these on.
Old 9th Dec 2018, 10:41 pm   #3
ECS_TVM
Diode

Thanks, but as I explained, spending £150 on machines which are only worth £100-150, isn’t really an option for me.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 1:12 pm   #4
ECS_TVM
Diode

Hi all

So I fixed the 7630 and the 9600, the belts had snapped and just needed replacing which I was able to do.

Next task. I need to replace the pinch roller on a UMatic deck. Can anyone help me with that? It seems quite difficult!

thanks
Old 1st Feb 2019, 1:55 am   #5
Sanbeta
Hexode

Hi
I've just serviced a 9600 (my first U matic) and you don't always need to replace the pinch roller. If a bit shiny with tape oxide you can gently remove this with 120 grit. If it's gone rock hard with no flex when pressing your fingernail in it then it will need replacing. The same applies to the rubber idlers too.
The belt's if cracked when turning inside out then replace but they too can be gently cleaned/roughed to make them grip again, if not badly stretched.

Also when removing the pinch roller you'll need a suitable allen key first to undo the top,then slide the roller upwards and remove the top part of the white plastic housing that holds the metal back barrier in place. Mind those small washers and the metal internal shaft that come out too.

..Kevin
Closed Thread