UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2018, 6:32 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Galashiels Rally date?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows the date for this year's Radio Rally at Galashiels? I normally see it advertised in PW and the like but nothing this year so far, or maybe I have missed it. I normally try and get to it as it's a good little rally, normally held in the town hall.
Alan.
Old 8th Oct 2018, 6:43 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Galashiels Rally date?

21st October.
Old 8th Oct 2018, 6:47 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Thanks for that HB.
Alan.
Old 8th Oct 2018, 6:59 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I think it's called The Volunteer Hall

It started in the Focus centre up by the swimming pool and then it moved.

Might call in this year, I'll be in the borders but doing horsey things.

David
Old 8th Oct 2018, 7:05 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

We (an inactive amateur friend and I) almost always go there and then, since recently, head up to Edinburgh for the rest of the day on the recently reinstated railway.

This time it's complicated because I may / may not be starting off in Keswick on that day and if the weather in the Lakes is exceptionally nice I might just stay there.

I've had some good stuff from that rally over the years, including my ex-education Hitachi V212 scope which still has very few miles on the clock. It's not quite the same since Jaycee (of Glenrothes) retired and closed down, as they were always there. But I did buy myself a try-out Baofeng UV5R handheld there last year and have had some nice use out of it since.

It's also good for spotting and picking up the sort of connectors, cables, heatshrink, battery boxes and other knicknacks we can no longer just pop into Maplin for.
Old 8th Oct 2018, 7:32 pm   #6
m0cemdave
Octode

The original question has been answered. But for future (and general) reference, the following link is probably the best source of rally information:
http://www.g4rga.org.uk/All.html
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 7:12 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Just to say that I did make it to this one and was impressed by the richness of the content for such a small event. I came away with most of what I had planned to look for, including a Diamond 2m 1/4 wave / 70cms 3/4 wave whip with the correct strange inverted SMA fitting for my Baofeng UV5R, bought at the same rally last year.

The pickings were particularly rich for anyone wanting to acquire either current or vintage components including valves, there were lots and lots of little bits of treasure to be found if you looked hard enough.

Galashiels is now one of only two rallies which I still virtually always go to, the other being Blackpool.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 9:52 pm   #8
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I agree, Galashiels Rally always seems to have just the right mix of old stuff and brand new, along with a taste of all the latest cheapy digital modules and gadgets. It's the only one I really bother with, and I have relatives in that area so they sometimes get a quick visit at the same time. It's a scenic drive if nothing else, up over the borders in Autumn. Jedburgh for a bite to eat, what more do you need? The hall was packed as usual which is good to see. Long may it continue, and a great job done by the organisers.
Alan.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:05 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
The original question has been answered. But for future (and general) reference, the following link is probably the best source of rally information:
http://www.g4rga.org.uk/All.html
Indeed, it is already in a sticky thread in this section for just that reason, but good to highlight it again.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread