UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2015, 6:58 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Question Future of the vintage wireless museum in Dulwich

Good evening,
On reading the obituary written by a newspaper for Gerry in an earlier thread, I was wondering what the future is for the wireless museum.
I was fortunate to go there about 16 years ago and it has a huge amount of very rare, historically important and valuable equipment.

I read in the obituary that volunteers are moving items around the house with a possible concern over overloading in upstairs rooms. Would an organisation like the BVWS be currently looking after the house and overseeing any structural repairs or alterations needed to make the house and its contents safe?

I presume all of the contents of the house and sheds would remain on site but heavier exhibits moved downstairs or onto a solid footing.

What is the future of the museum being run as well as a source of income for running repairs on the house and sheds, gas and electric bills and other expenditure the museum may need to use to restore/run exhibits?
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 14th Feb 2015, 7:12 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Future of the vintage wireless museum in Dulwich

The Museum is run as a charitable trust (you can join as a friend if you wish) and I have
complete confidence the existing Trustees will continue to operate as usual.
I think there will be a fitting tribute to Gerry in the next Bulletin.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 8:15 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I also support the museum as a friend sadly never been down despite meeting Gerry many times at Harpenden.

It is also my belief that the museum will live on, a fitting tribute to a great man.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 10:33 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

The museum will carry on as before but without the resident engineer! The dedicated members that regularly visit will continue to maintain and improve exhibits and I suspect that the annual Garden Party will go ahead as normal this year with probably a very fitting tribute to Gerry.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 11:13 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

That's good to know that it will carry on as before. I presume the entire collection is secure at its current location for the foreseeable future. Would have been an immense shame if it was to be dispersed as there is so many facinating items there that no museum in this country could ever replicate.
Christopher Capener
Old 15th Feb 2015, 1:43 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

It's secure, it's safe and there's a future for the collection. It's in good hands. Worry ye not!
Old 15th Feb 2015, 10:08 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As others have said the museum (including the collection and buildings etc) is a charitable trust. A lot of work has been done behind the scenes in the last few years by the trustee committee etc (one of whom is Mike Barker, chairman of the BVWS) to ensure it is protected for the long term.

Obviously as with any charity it will be relying on donations. The proceeds from the NVCF are used to support the museum (such as paying for the new boiler and heating system recently) and will continue to do so.

We have not had a BVWS committee meeting since Gerry's death but in ongoing email discussions between the whole committee the museum and a fitting tribute to Gerry are high in our priorities.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread