UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2015, 9:24 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default BA and other threads etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev757 View Post
So why do I have a separate set of Metric and BA box spanners if the BA set will do both?
Because the AF dimension of the nuts are not physically related to the thread size, they're just what the designer decided on.

Also, only the 0BA and M6 are nearly the same, other sizes don't match up.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Feb 2015, 5:12 am   #2
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Default Re: BA and other threads etc

BA threads are indeed specified in metric dimensions, but I suspect the nuts were made from hexagonal bar stock with imperial (outside) dimensions, though I may well be wrong. However, I can't recall where, but I read that some current production BA nuts are made from standard metric hexagonal stock because the original sizes are no longer available.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 7:59 am   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, a look at Engineers or Machinery Handbooks(or a good Google) will reveal the vast array of thread types that are available, together with a their principal dimensions as well as the relationships between these dimensions and also the relationships to other sizes in the same series.

Ed
Old 14th Feb 2015, 8:45 am   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Lots of thread information is at:
http://www.alanstepney.info/page8.html
Old 14th Feb 2015, 2:37 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Thanks Alan. Great info there. now in my fav file

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 14th Feb 2015, 3:25 pm   #6
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

There's some, probably accidental, compatibility between BA and ISO threads in that a metric screw will go in a BA hole but a BA screw won't go in a metric hole.

- Joe
Old 14th Feb 2015, 3:59 pm   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Gents, a look at Engineers or Machinery Handbooks(or a good Google) will reveal the vast array of thread types that are available ...
As someone once said "That's the beauty of standards, there are so many to choose from !" .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Feb 2015, 5:46 pm   #8
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

BA is actually a metric system as it is based upon the Swiss Thury thread. All the British Association did, when they copied the Thury thread, was to specify it in Imperial dimensions.
The major difference between Thury / BA and todays metric threads is that the latter has a 60 degree thread angle and "sharp" (as opposed to rounded) peak and trough.
Old 15th Feb 2015, 1:19 am   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

Sorry, but BA screws have always been specified in metric (mm) dimensions. Although, except for 0BA (6mm dia) the sizes aren't a round number.

The next size is found by multiplying by approx. 0.9, so 1BA is 5.4mm dia, 2BA is 4.8mm dia, etc, which is a good system - similar to preferred resistor values.

The thread angle is 47.5 degrees, so although a 0BA and M6 screw have the same diameter (and the same thread pitch, as well), putting an M6 nut on a 0BA screw, or vice versa, isn't good practice.
Old 15th Feb 2015, 10:13 am   #10
lesmw0sec
Octode

If I recall correctly, one advantage of BA was that the drill size down from clearance was the correct size for tapping the smaller thread.
Old 15th Feb 2015, 11:21 am   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, BA threads were designed according to a mathematical progression so that each fastener's clearance drill was the tapping drill for the next size up, and without regard for round figures either in millimetres or in inches.
Old 15th Feb 2015, 11:26 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Absolutely - the only round figures are 6mm diameter, 1mm pitch, for the 0BA... and for the others the round figure is the BA number!
Closed Thread