UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2016, 2:15 am   #1
retrotech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony BVM D20F1E problems

Recently I have been able to acquire a second hand Sony BVM D20F1E monitor. The primary use I had in mind for it is as a retro gaming monitor while the previous owner used it mostly via the SDI input to test camera equipment. This model is especially interesting for its ability to display any signal from 240p to 1080i resolutions with 900 TVL.

Anyway, as I am really not an expert on CRT equipment I have run into some problems. The main problem I can see is that with any source I have connected to it (DVD player, various game consoles outputting 240p and 480i RGBs as well as 480p RGsB and 480p over component video the image is a bit unstable (internal and external sync don't make a difference). This manifests in flickering of small distortions over the screen at several second intervals. This does seem to be significantly worse (or more noticeable in 480p). In fact, looking closely I can also see the same distortion in just the menu text without any video source connected to it.

I have done my best to record a video to try to demonstrate the problem that occurs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkGNeWYuJ8E

I have found that adjusting the internal signal in the extended setup menu fixes this problem completely for any source. Somehow, I am not able to save this setting and the menu text stays on the screen while all the buttons are disabled on the control unit.

I have looked into the manual and it had this to say:

"ADJ INT SIGNAL menu
Adjust the SETUP level and 100 IRE level of the
internal white signal which is used with the COLOR
TEMP ADJ menu."

I can't deduce from that how to save the setting. Maybe the firmware is bugged?

If anybody knows more about these monitors that can help me fix this problem it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 29th Jun 2016, 6:28 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Sony BVM D20F1E problems

I'm not entirely sure on this, but with some professional grade monitors you had these little 75 Ohm BNC termination caps that went over the unused outputs. I think they may have been there to stop interference.

Also check that there's nothing close by like a mobile phone or WiFi router, and use good quality (fully shielded) cables.
Old 1st Jul 2016, 1:40 am   #3
retrotech
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for you reply.

I am aware of the 75 ohm BNC termintors on the outputs. If I don't connect them the picture will be too bright. I have them connected to all outputs for now. These outputs can be used for daisy chaining several of these monitors together.

At first I thought it could be an interference problem as well. After trying several different video sources and different cables the problems are still the same. To be sure, I have moved to monitor to a completely diffeferent room with no other electronic equipment and the results are the same.

What is curious is that the problem can be fixed completely by the "adjust internal signal" option which further indicates it's not interference. It's just that this option doesn't seem to save no matter what I try. Maybe I would have to track down on of those PCMCIA memory cards to save the settings (although many basic settings are saved anyway without one). At first I thought it was just to copy settings from one monitor to the next to make setup easier but I guess they may be necessary to save some of the settings. Or the firmware is just bugged...
Old 1st Jul 2016, 6:17 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

Honestly? I think these BVM's are more trouble than they're worth, and probably overkill for retro gaming. A lot of them are high hours and are showing their age with all sorts of weird 'n' wonderful problems. Even an experienced service technician would probably find one of these a bit of a challenge.

I would've probably gone for something much simpler, like the PVM range or similar models from the likes of Panasonic, JVC, Barco etc. Just my two cents worth, that's all.
Closed Thread