UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2016, 10:09 am   #1
hans
Heptode

Default Tandberg CTV 1

I just got an old Tandberg. According to the people I got it from it was used to about year 2000. When I was in the trade (early 90's) I only saw two or three of these. At the time I didn't like them.

This set was working when it was used last. I had a brief look into the set. It looked dusty, but everything was original and there was no signs of heavy use.

I plugged it in and was awarded with sound, and after about a minute the picture was there. It filled the whole screen. But then the smoke came. There was a lot of it. It smelled burned paper. I guess it was a RIFA, but I couldn't see the damage. I have to do a closer inspection to find the culprit.

I have had a look on the net for the diagram for this set, but none of the usual places has it. Does anyone on the forum have it?
Old 25th Jun 2016, 10:19 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg CTV 1

That's the one with a spring-loaded resistor by the LOP stage that deliberately hits the metal frame and blows the fuse when it opens if I rememeber rightly.
It sounds a nice project. I only saw a couple of these - they were imported in the early Seventies, but there were nowhere near as many as the CTV2.
Television magazine did an article on them in the late Seventies but I don't have the date unfortunately, though I'm sure an archivist here will be able to find and scan it for you.
Glyn
Old 25th Jun 2016, 10:53 am   #3
hans
Heptode

We didn't have colour broadcast here when these were made. They didn't sell many of these here. I guess you had to be very interested in TV to fork out all the money for a set like this when most of what you cold use it for was B/W. The CTV2-4 was made in the UK.
Old 27th Jun 2016, 7:46 pm   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

Here's the Television article July 1977 issue. Covers the Line and Field timebases and the PSU.

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV 0777.PDF (371.0 KB, 537 views)
Old 27th Jun 2016, 7:59 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Interesting set, using 3 x PL802 pentode valves for the RGB drive to the CRT.

I had one in the past but moved it on all in order to concentrate on UK made TVs.

Regards,

Dazzle vision
Old 27th Jun 2016, 11:31 pm   #6
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
I have had a look on the net for the diagram for this set, but none of the usual places has it. Does anyone on the forum have it?
Didn't Norsk Radiohistorisk Forening have the schematic Hans?
Old 28th Jun 2016, 3:10 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I couldn't remember which set used the three PL802s - I'd thought it was a Skantic or Luxor but found out I was wrong. Thanks for the information!
Glyn
Old 28th Jun 2016, 3:28 pm   #8
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Luxor used 3 x EF184,Malc.
Old 28th Jun 2016, 3:53 pm   #9
brunel
Heptode

As to be expected, watch out for heat damage on the printed circuit from the PL802's.

When it became difficult to obtain the PL802, a solid state version was produced.

Also the line osc. ECH84 was prone to o/c heaters, caused by flashover in the PY500.
Old 28th Jun 2016, 6:40 pm   #10
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
Here's the Television article July 1977 issue. Covers the Line and Field timebases and the PSU.
Thanks!

Much info there that'll come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Thomas View Post
Didn't Norsk Radiohistorisk Forening have the schematic Hans?
They don't have for colour. I could only find for mono sets.
Old 28th Jun 2016, 7:10 pm   #11
hans
Heptode

I had a good look at the set again. All the smoke had to come from somewhere. I had a look at the Rifas in the "power supply", but the all looked unburned. All of them have a few small cracks. Not deep and wide cracks like in my Tandberg TV1 which is ten years older and have lived 10+ years in a damp garage. All the other components looked well too.

I then wanted to try a more efficient method: I plugged the set and turned it on keeping a finger on the power switch for fast depowerment. This time there was no smoke....

The next step will be to find a signal source. I would like to see if this old tube will give a good picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
As to be expected, watch out for heat damage on the printed circuit from the PL802's.

When it became difficult to obtain the PL802, a solid state version was produced.

Also the line osc. ECH84 was prone to o/c heaters, caused by flashover in the PY500.
I allways had trouble with burned print on the hybrids. I didn't do many of them as there werent many of them around by the time I started with tvs in the late 80's, and I avoided them as they had lower walue than newer sets and were harder to repair. The ones I did weren't wery reliable.

This set has no heat damage that I can find. Some resoldering has been done one the valve bases. I have to do some resoldering on other places, but this set looks little used.

20+ years ago I scrapped a CTV 1. That set had the solid state PL802s. I have them somewhere.
Old 29th Jun 2016, 10:29 am   #12
volte-face
No Longer a Member

PM sent regarding service manual.
Closed Thread