UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2016, 12:42 am   #101
hans
Heptode

Default Re: Best CRT colour TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
So we are looking for a set with stunning performance and good looks that rarely went wrong and, when it did, was easy and rewarding to repair.
The only set that I can come to think of that has a good combination of the aboved must be the late 70's BO sets.

They had good (but not the best) picture quality. (I think some had "HIFI" speakers.) They were the best looking. I never had a problem fixing them, and since they were expensive (and good looking) I made good profit on them.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 3:09 pm   #102
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

To tick all three boxes is certainly difficult. For looks you will have to remove most TV's made from the mid 1980's, horrible ugly black/charcoal or silver boxes.
For performance looks and reasonable reliability you have to go back to the 1970's. I nominate the Decca Bradford and the excellent ITT/KB CVC5/9 chassis. We loved them as they were great to work on when they did break down. Our customers were also very happy with their looks and performance.
As part of the engineering team we all had that critical eye and I think it was an equal 50% split for those of us that owned either a Decca or ITT.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 8:34 pm   #103
Clydeuk
Hexode

In my opinion the CVC5/9 was the best of the hybrid's, we were seeing these coming for service into the 1990's. The 20 inch ones I encountered always had a great tube and picture quality. In contrast most of the Bradfords and Philips G8's we saw at this point had tired CRT's. Was this because of the Mullard tubes or was the ITT just kinder on it's tube?
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 10:41 pm   #104
Maarten
Dekatron

What tubes were in it? German ITT tubes weren't too good.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 10:52 pm   #105
Clydeuk
Hexode

Most of the CVC5/9's I saw were 20 inch models, I can't remember what tubes were fitted though I have a feeling they might have been Japanese? I did see one with a Thorn New Life regunned tube, which I think wasn't too good. I don't remember seeing any 22 inch ones, but it's all a distant memory now. The Bradford and G8 sets used the Mullard A56-120X and by the 90's most of the survivors were flat.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 11:54 pm   #106
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
What tubes were in it? German ITT tubes weren't too good.
The smaller (ITT/SEL) tubes better than the larger ones. 99% of the ITT sets I worked on were German. There might be different tubes in UK sets.

To be fair: Allmost all of the ITT sets were 10+ years when I worked on them.
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 9:51 am   #107
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Anyone mentioned the Ferguson TX10? Best models for picture quality were those fitted with the Mullard 30AX CRT.
The chassis can be modified for RGB drives. S4 CRT is good but the 30AX display is better.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 10:40 am   #108
mhennessy
Dekatron

I preferred the pictures from a K30, even though mine had less good EHT regulation than the TX10. But the TX10 obviously had the advantage of the isolated chassis. My uncle - who worked in Enfield at the time - gave me a TX10 (with an almost dead CRT) along with a teletext and frequency-synthesis board from a TX100, and a bare PCB for a Scart interface (totally undocumented), and I made them all work together when I should have been studying for my A-levels. Learnt a lot about TVs during that time...

When the TX10 was finished, I transferred the good CRT from my K30, but after a month or two, I put it back in the Philips! It might have been different if we'd been using digital set top boxes or DVD players, but in 1990, all we had was analogue off-air, and the K30 was just so much better at dealing with those signals. I think I slightly offended my uncle at the time. He did the tuner design

Along with various Sony sets, I used a K35 until about 6 years ago. I gave it away on this forum, and the new owner gave it away a few years later. Hopefully it's still alive. I modified the Scart input to take RGB, which was well worth doing. The teletext printer was working, but sadly not much use today...
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 8:39 pm   #109
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi
I remember in the 70,s there were Finlandia TVs .They seemed to be quite good quality and produced a nice sharp image .Also Very reliable.
There were valves certainly in the lopt stage but can't remember if they were hybrid.
I think they were rented out by Granada ,anybody remember those ?
Cheers Pete
Old 24th Jun 2016, 1:07 pm   #110
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hmm.
Not sure I've ever seen a hybrid Finlandia - it was Granada's badge for the Salora sets they imported. The most popular was the Salora-J chassis (with the IPSALO PSU) though I have seen the earlier G and H chassis - both solid state. Maybe they badged the hybrid Luxor set as a Finlandia?
There also was the K chassis - vertical chassis and not too bad to work on, then the horizontal M-chassis which used the ITT digital chipset and their own dry joints! There was an N-series, with an inflammable LOPT and a PCB made of toast - not their best moment.
Glyn
Closed Thread