UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2016, 4:42 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Old French Akai VCR.

Hi,
One of my neighbours gave me this old thing. It's an Akai VS-2S top loader VHS recorder with 220/110 mains voltage selector and an IR remote receiver which looks like an optional add-on. I haven't got the zapper, alas. Interestingly, it's 50/60 Hz capable, so I wonder if these were exported to the French speaking parts of Canada?
There's probably a UK version too.
On switch on or switch off the LED on the remote unit lights for a second or two, plus a mechanical 'click' from within, but that's all.
I'm not bothered about repairing it, nor do I want to break it for bits either, so it will probably gather dust in the cellar.
Just thought I'd share it.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	126214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	126215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	126216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	126217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	126218  

Old 18th Jun 2016, 5:08 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Old French Akai VCR.

What television system does it use? I assume if it was used in France it would be SECAM, whereas don't Canada use NTSC?
Old 18th Jun 2016, 5:12 pm   #3
cmjones01
Nonode

That's a nice piece of history. I always find it interesting to see equipment which was familiar in the UK market, but in its different versions for other countries. France is particularly interesting because of the whole SECAM and System L/K thing.

Chris
Old 18th Jun 2016, 5:25 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Old French Akai VCR.

Hi.
I have no idea, but I assume it's SECAM. I forgot that Canada used NTSC.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 5:44 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

This is a SECAM-only machine! If you try playing a PAL tape, it will play back in black and white. I have attached a couple of pictures of the multi system version, the VS-2EGN with 5 systems (PAL, SECAM, MESECAM, NTSC 3.58 and 4.43) sold in the Middle East!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	178918119_1_1000x700_five-in-one-music-system-silvano-music-system-akai-vcr-chandigarh.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	126226   Click image for larger version

Name:	178918119_3_1000x700_five-in-one-music-system-silvano-music-system-akai-vcr-video-audio.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	126227  

Last edited by dj_fivos_sak; 18th Jun 2016 at 5:55 pm.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 10:34 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Saw a few of the UK version of these machines. I seem to remember they were difficult to use for the customer. I have an odd Akai with a sloping front in the shed which I think pre-dated this one. Must dig it out.
Glyn
Old 20th Jun 2016, 2:10 am   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Let me refresh your memory. It's an AKAI VS-5 and I have one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBUkjDLqTWc
Old 20th Jun 2016, 1:12 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Thank you - my memory often needs refreshing!
Old 20th Jun 2016, 1:22 pm   #9
Nicklyons2
Octode

Was there an earlier number that looked more like the OP one, which had a big square key which rocked so that each side was a function; terrible deck which wouldn't stay in interchange and only 2 head on a dual speed machine so it used LP heads even on SP.
VS2
Old 21st Jun 2016, 1:40 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Don't remember that one, though there was a VS1 but I think that was a JVC clone. My memories of Akai VCRs were tainted by the VS23 that needed half the PSU rebuilding! Then there were the display problems with over-run VFDs. Can't say I was too sorry to see the back of them.
Glyn
Old 21st Jun 2016, 8:01 pm   #11
Clydeuk
Hexode

I can't remember the model, but is this one that doesn't have a display on the front, and instead uses an on screen display?

I remember in the 90's we used to sell a lot of JVC/Ferguson and Hitachi top loaders cheap, but we couldn't shift the AKAI's because the calendar only went up to 1996 I think.
Old 21st Jun 2016, 8:24 pm   #12
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

The AKAI models that I know they are JVC clones are VS-9300, VS-9500 and the VS-10. The VS-1 is a front loading machine made by AKAI.
Old 21st Jun 2016, 8:25 pm   #13
Nicklyons2
Octode

Clyde, I'd forgotten that, come to think of it the 'stinker' to which I referred was, I think the first machine I'd seen with an on-screen display; a thing I hated then and still did up to the end of 'clock set' recordings.
Old 21st Jun 2016, 11:45 pm   #14
Clydeuk
Hexode

I think it was unfortunate that they chose to have a calendar, presumably to allow recordings to be scheduled over a longer period of time, whereas the run of the mill Fergies and the like had a simple 7 or 14 day timer capability. Oh the memories.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 1:59 am   #15
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Don't remember that one, though there was a VS1 but I think that was a JVC clone. My memories of Akai VCRs were tainted by the VS23 that needed half the PSU rebuilding!
The VS-1 was not made by JVC (I don't think Akai ever licensed/cloned a design from JVC anyway but they did source some complete recorders from them); it was the low end model from their own sloped front+OSD line. I always liked their OSD system, I thought it was one of the more intuitive programming systems together with the Philips system which didn't require OSD. It's indeed a pity they had a calendar; it certainly wasn't "milennium proof".

Funny thing with those Akai power supplies. VS22 through VS26 definitely had their design flaws as did the physically smaller series that followed them. The latter, however, seemed to last forever after the power supply had a few electrolytics replaced. Apparently, they had learned something along the way. Later models had a conventional transformer though, but had some power supply failures as well (I still don't understand how they could **** that up, but the design was quite complicated for a linear supply).

Last edited by Maarten; 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:09 am.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 2:19 am   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

But 1986 started on a Wednesday, and 1996 finished on a Tuesday. So all you had to do was set the year to 1986, and then the days of the week would be correct.

I agree, though, it would have been simple enough and more future-proof just to set the day of the week manually and deal with leap years as they arose ..... Or just ignore the date and month altogether and work on the day of the week alone. For instance, on one of my old Amstrad VHS machines, selecting "WED" would record a programme next Wednesday, or "2ND WED" would record the Wednesday after next. There was no date or month display.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 1:09 pm   #17
Nicklyons2
Octode

I always thought the VHSs which required the full date performance were a bit laughable, particularly so when all the prog info came from the Radio Times et al which at very best gave you 10 days 'warning'. I think the type Julie mentions above with the 1st Wk - 2nd Wk was perfectly adequate.

Akai did have a rebadged JVC HR3300 in their very early days but sadly I can't remember the model No. It was distinguished by very fetching real wood sides with lovely chrome 'bath-panel' type bolts/cup washers holding them on.

Despite the Egyptians having worked out most of the 60 minute 24 hour business 5,000 years ago, the video manufactureres managed to make clocks an almost unworkable and un-necessarily complex concept. Hitachi had machines which had a.m & p.m. almost everyone alse had decided to go for 24hr clock. Some machines adjusted the start/stop times like a bedside digi alarm - you held a button down and it whizzed around and you took your finger of the button at the required time. The most poisonous IMHO were the ones which began with the on time at the current time and you had to add or subtract days, then hrs and then min to get to the required settings; repeating for off times - ugh.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 8:27 pm   #18
Clydeuk
Hexode

The date problem shouldn't have been a deal breaker considering the low prices we were selling top loaders for at this time, but we did have people bringing them back saying they were faulty because it wouldn't let them put the right date in. I think we gave up and threw them in the skip in the end.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 8:56 pm   #19
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
Akai did have a rebadged JVC HR3300 in their very early days but sadly I can't remember the model No. It was distinguished by very fetching real wood sides with lovely chrome 'bath-panel' type bolts/cup washers holding them on.
It is the VS-9300

Fivos
Closed Thread