UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 3:20 pm   #1
>Nigel<
Diode

Default Simon Minstrelle Circuit Diagram

Hello, does anyone have such a thing for this tape recorder, doesn't seem to be much information out there about it, seemingly not very fashionable among enthusiasts, but it does have at least one admirer.

Any information much appreciated.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 3:58 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Wink Re: Simon Minstrelle Circuit Diagram

Hello Nigel and welcome to the Forum.

I have a Minstrelle which is WIP but stalled at the moment due to many other higher priorities.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=170587

The schematic is in the Service manual attached.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Simon Minstrelle Service.pdf (248.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf Simon Minstrelle 4 Instructions.pdf (380.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: pdf Simon Minstrelle 4 Publicity Leaflet.pdf (1.23 MB, 79 views)
Old 31st Jul 2021, 5:44 pm   #3
>Nigel<
Diode

Default Re: Simon Minstrelle Circuit Diagram

Thank you for the response, and the downloads, they make for fascinating reading. The two track machine I've recently acquired seems to have been used for over a decade (if Slade being the most recent thing recorded on the original Garrard tape is anything to go by), but very well looked after, it still smells of lavender wax furniture polish, and was returned to its original manufacturer's box, and dry stored, when retired from everyday use.

My initial concern, was of course capacitors, as I lack facilities and sufficient experience to test for leakage, my usual course is wholesale replacement. One or two of the large grey ERO ones had visible splits, but I have been puzzling over the small red ones (of the type shown as C1 on yours) unusual and incomplete markings left me uncertain quite what they were.

I'm still to strip and re-lubricate the deck, but I restored a Simon Cymbal last year which has been working nicely since even though its shoebox size means it becomes quite toasty!

Nigel
Old 31st Jul 2021, 7:25 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I think the Cymbal may be more rare than the Minstrelle.

I think the Minstrelle 4 (as per operating instructions) is the 4 track version.

C1 type I believe do not normally cause problems, not sure off the top of my head what actual type they are.

David
Old 31st Jul 2021, 7:51 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Nigel, I have a very comprehensive service manual for the Garrard Magazine Tape Deck, it is too large to post here, if you do not already have it and would like a copy then please PM me with your email address and I will forward it on.

David
Old 1st Aug 2021, 8:46 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Forgot to say that if any of those red capacitors are connected to a DC voltage at their inputs (by checking the schematic) then you can do a functional check to see if the capacitor is electrically leaky by measuring the output side of the capacitor to see if any +ve DC voltage is passing through the capacitor (there should not be).

This involves live working so should only be undertaken if you are competent to do this, your safety is the top priority. If you have a Megger or insulation tester you could also lift one side of the capacitor (all power off, mains plug removed and allow sufficient time for capacitors to discharge first) and check them for high resistance at a voltage close to their working voltage.

David
Old 1st Aug 2021, 5:09 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Photo attached of my red C1. In this case the 10k = 10,000pF which is the same value as 0.01uF, the parts list on the schematic listing it as 0.01 (uF but not actually stated).

I think this was the only red one of this type on mine and I did check it by meggering it, even though it is a grid coupling capacitor it would not normally see any DC voltage as it is the input signal to the first valve.

I am sure one of the Forum capacitor afficionados will be able to give the capacitor type a name but as I said before normally I believe they are very reliable.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210801_163518479_HDR.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	238626  
Old 1st Aug 2021, 5:22 pm   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

It's a rod ceramic dielectric capacitor, probably made by Erie (UK) of Great Yarmouth.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 8:25 pm   #9
>Nigel<
Diode

Ah, thanks for the updates, yes there are five of these red capacitors in mine, you seem to have polystyrene types for the other ones of this value in yours. I have been studying the detailed capacitor info elsewhere on this site and forum, but these left me slightly flummoxed by the minimal labelling, (10K 20%) and their ambiguous appearance. I just wanted to be sure what they were and their likelihood of being unreliable. Firstly I'll need to treat the wafer switches with some cleaner, they've particularly blackened, and get the deck running smoothly again before I attempt any further fault finding on the electronics. I'll PM my e-mail for the Garrard manual, when I stripped the Cymbal's deck I was doing it without reference. The tension on the sprung idler, has since been a issue.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:30 am   #10
Cobaltblue

The Garrard Magazine tape deck manual is available here:

https://www.service-data.com/product...2/11815/m18442

Cheers

Mike T
Old 7th Aug 2021, 9:28 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by >Nigel< View Post
Ah, thanks for the updates, yes there are five of these red capacitors in mine, you seem to have polystyrene types for the other ones of this value in yours.
All my Polystyrene tested good (Polystyrene generally give no problems).

I did replace 3 of those grey ERO (plastic encased paper), only one was actually leaky (very) the other 2 changed for good measure as they see DC voltage on their input side.

David
Old 10th Aug 2021, 5:44 pm   #12
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

A genuine British published Service Manual no less, almost Radio Constructor style circuit drawings!

Anybody noticed the output valve sections are triode–connected?

Chris Williams
Old 10th Aug 2021, 9:07 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well Edward did in Post 19.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=170587

I did originally notice it said that under the valve line up in the service manual.

David
Closed Thread