UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:35 pm   #1
absolutelynice
Triode

Question 746 Quiet Speech

Hello,

I'm converting a 746 phone and I think I've followed all of the steps correctly from YouTube videos and what not but when tested, the voice on the other line is quite quiet.

Can anybody spot any wiring I've done wrong (photos attached) or suggest another fault perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	185207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	185208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	185209  
Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:43 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 746 Quiet Speech

When you say that "the voice on the other line is quite quiet" do you mean that the sound on this 'phone is quiet or do you mean that speech from this 'phone is quiet on the other 'phone?

If the latter, the transmitter (microphone) of this 'phone may be at fault. It may be that the carbon granules have settled into a solid mass that is not responding to speech. Try giving the mouthpiece a sharp rap or two (though not hard enough to damage the casing) and see whether that makes any difference.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:47 pm   #3
absolutelynice
Triode

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

I rang a friend and their voice was very quiet coming into the 746 but when I left the phone off the hook for a while the operator said 'please hang up' or something along those lines, that voice was nice and clear.

Is is maybe something to do with mobile phones?
Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:51 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As the automated message is coming through loud and clear, I assume the dial tone and ringing tone are also fine. If so, it may be worth seeing whether you have the same problem on another 'phone when conversing with this friend, to eliminate the possibility of the problem being their end.

By the way, I forgot to say earlier that your wiring looks fine to me.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 4:16 pm   #5
absolutelynice
Triode

Yeah the dial tone is nice and clear also. I'll try your suggestion of conversing on another phone and see how it goes.

Thanks for checking over the wiring and for the help!
Closed Thread