UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2019, 11:04 pm   #1
jonboysez
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ericsson N1014B wiring conversion

Hi I'm finally decluttering my house and have a few old phones to sell. I used to convert phones a few years ago but havent for a good few years and so have forgotten most of it. I have an old Telephone Rentals N1014B with the original line cord terminated in 3 wires (red, green and white) with spade terminals on the end. Is it possible to keep the original line cord as attached and connect it up to the modern jack via a terminal block of some kind? Or can I retain the old cable and cut off the spade terminals and insert the wires into a modern plug (I have the crimper tool to do this from years ago and I know the wiring at the other end needs to be changed). There is a post already on here from 2011 about how to do it but its not easy to understand especially the bit about disconnecting the red and orange wire from the capacitor and joining it to the modern blue wire (how does that work if i want to retain the old cable and which is the red and orange wire and indeed the capacitor!) Any help would be great.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:31 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1014B wiring conversion

I would retain the spade terminals and use a terminal block to connect to a modern lead. Not only would cutting off the spades spoil the originality, you may find it difficult to obtain a good connection between the wires and the plug.

A link to the 2011 thread about wiring and/or a picture of the connections within your 'phone might be helpful for sorting out your wiring if you wish to convert the bell for the third wire (which will be green in your case).

Alternatively, you could simply connect the red and white wires to terminals 5 and 2 of the plug and use the existing wiring, ignoring the green wire. The only problems with doing so arise if other 'phones are connected in parallel: a) you may suffer bell-tinkle using loop-disconnect dialling on other 'phones and b) if it has a 500Ω bell it may prevent ringers from operating correctly by exceeding a REN of 4.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 12:24 pm   #3
jonboysez
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave
Thanks for that - I have actually found another identical phone amongst my collection that has already been converted (its the same model but looks slightly different) anyway I plugged it in and it received calls and made calls fine but there was no dial tone so could not hear anything so unscrewed the earpiece from the other phone - there is a magnetic disc that was missing so transferred it to the converted phone and that works fully now but on investigating the wiring conversion its not the same as that post from 2011 but if it works it works so will continue on that basis - I need another of those earpiece metal discs - any idea where I might buy one (or is that not allowed on here apologies if not!) I will attempt to post the link to the 2011 article https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69011 See if I can attach images of the conveted working phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converted N1014B.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	185197   Click image for larger version

Name:	converted N1014B(2).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	185198   Click image for larger version

Name:	converted N1014B(3).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	185199  

Last edited by jonboysez; 16th Jun 2019 at 12:40 pm.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 1:59 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboysez View Post
there is a magnetic disc that was missing so transferred it to the converted phone and that works fully now ... I need another of those earpiece metal discs - any idea where I might buy one
The diaphragms for telephone receivers are available for £2 each from Telephone Lines
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:38 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

When I was a kid I cut out such diaphragm with a pair of scissors. I used a metal plate from an old calendar where the date was marked by moving a magnetic ring.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:13 am   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It was me who wrote that post in 2011 after converting mine. I had to cut the capacitor wire in order to suit the three-wire BT plug-and-socket system with the bell capacitor in the master LJU, as the N1014B is extremely basic and not all the wiring comes out on terminals as one would like! Not as flexible as a 300-series instrument, say. It's simply a matter of desoldering and folding the wire back under a sleeve.

But back then, there would be no need to reconfigure so no need to incur additional manufacturing costs.

I wired mine on the principle (applicable to any three-wire line, bell-and-anti-tink, line system) of white being common to signalling and speech, blue to bell from capacitor in master LJU and red being speech and dial pulsing. And it works fine either stand-alone or with other instruments on the system. To do it this way ensures the bell-shunt dial-off-normal circuitry is still intact.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread