UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2012, 5:52 pm   #81
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Calling Hacker Hunter owners!

Yes, I felt sure you'd know

I've seen plenty of Hunters with damaged audio PCBs, but these can normally be cleaned up. Your first problem might be undoing the screws. Often, I end up replacing the original screws with M4 countersunk screws of the same length (an M4 thread can be cut in the heatsink without drilling out the holes). I often find that the solder has gone strange - all grey and crystalline, perhaps because of the chemicals - so start by removing all the old solder and applying fresh. Any corroded copper can be cleaned up and patched with tinned copper wire, but as these had a solder-resist layer, they normally get away with it. Component damage is common - the pre-set resistors can be damaged, and I routinely check the values of the fixed resistors. T1 can go noisy, and I use the more reliable BC108 to replace the BC148. The germanium transistors can go leaky, low gain, or develop tin whiskers. Apart from that, it's all pretty reliable - even the capacitors are normally pretty good.

Again, I might well be teaching you to suck eggs again, but it might help others. Good luck with the restoration - take some "before" pictures, and I expect to see the "success story" in a few days time

Cheers,

Mark
Old 20th Nov 2012, 9:34 pm   #82
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
expect to see the "success story" in a few days time
I should be so lucky... work's hectic, there are two little ones to look after, and I've got to mend the boiler which has just broken down. Brrrrrr
Old 25th Nov 2012, 4:00 pm   #83
magicman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Just joined so first post.

Picked up my Hunter about ten years ago at a boot sale for £7.50, it's in very good condition and works as it should it's stats. are as follows.

Mod. RP38 Hunter VHF

Ser. No. 10310

Handle One piece

Grille Sheet Ali.

Scale All white

DC in No

Spkr. Elac grey frame

Tone knob Silver

There is a label inside with the following written on it in biro MO 833 followed by a signature.

All the best,
George
Old 26th Nov 2012, 9:55 pm   #84
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi George,

Thanks for the information, and welcome to the forum

Your set is the earliest we have with an Elac loudspeaker - this gets us closer to 10,000, which is when I suspect they made that change...

The only thing I need to know about your set; is it black or teak?

Thanks once again,

Mark
Old 27th Nov 2012, 12:58 pm   #85
magicman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark,

The wooden ends are teak and the rexine appears to be navy blue.

This is a brilliant site by the way, glad I stumbled upon it. I've had dozens of portable radios in my time but nothing beats the Hacker Hunter.

George
Old 28th Nov 2012, 1:09 am   #86
mhennessy
Dekatron

Thanks George!

I'm guessing that your Hunter left the factor with black Rexine, but has faded slightly. Certainly, black was the only colour used for a Hunter. There is a chance that it's been recovered, but this is relatively unlikely.

Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks again for the details.

Mark
Old 30th Dec 2012, 5:27 pm   #87
credible58
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark,

The work you have done on the timeline is excellent. I've tried to use it to see if I could narrow the date of manufacture of my RP38A (serial 13924). The evidence is mixed.

1. R3 and R5 in my set are the values that were used after 7th October 1970
2. There is a red stamp on the inside of the case near the speaker hole that says 10 SEP - unfortunately no year
3. The timeline has serial number 14291 produced on 21/10/1970

Taking points 1 and 3 above, the difference in serial numbers is 357. If mine was manufactured on 7th October then that would give a manufacturing rate of 175 to 200 units per week. That sounds quite high.

* What's wrong with my logic above?
* Is there anything else I could check?

Thanks and regards...Paul
Old 5th Feb 2013, 8:43 am   #88
Dmartinburns
Retired Dormant Member

HI there
This is my first post as a newbie and I wanted to register my Hacker Hunter RP38a. Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate the serial number. The only number I can find is '45547' on a sticker affixed to the underside of the bottom panel, but I do not think this is the serial number. My Hunter has the one piece handle, sheet aluminium type grille, black 'Hacker' badge to the upper left on black leatherette, wooden end panels, white scale print with 'Hunter VHF' to the top left, fitted dc input socket (but sadly no power supply lead), silver tone controls and a 'gold' speaker.

I paid £50 odd for it just after Christmas, and am suitably impressed by the build quality and sound.

Assuming the number above is not the serial number, where is this usually found?

Best regards

Martin
Old 5th Feb 2013, 5:50 pm   #89
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Martin,

45547 is the serial number. It should also be stamped onto the underside of the alloy chassis immediately below the tuning scale; remove the back, hold the radio face down and you'll see it at the righthand end.
Old 5th Feb 2013, 5:58 pm   #90
Dmartinburns
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Darren, and of course you are correct as the chassis serial number confirms. Can this set be registered now on your database please?
Old 5th Feb 2013, 7:06 pm   #91
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the details of your set, which is the latest example of the sheet aluminium grille that I know about. Every other detail is as expected, which is always nice. I've added the details to the timeline document (next time I get around to uploading it, you'll see it). I'll also add the details to the database on the Hacker Radio Yahoo group.

All the best,

Mark

Edit: I presume the "Hacker" badge is the pressed aluminium version, rather than chromed brass?
Old 6th Feb 2013, 4:48 pm   #92
Dmartinburns
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, the badge is pressed aluminium.
Old 7th Feb 2013, 3:21 pm   #93
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Just saved another Hacker Hunter radio. This one appears to be of late 1960s manufacture. The serial number is 10286, has a grey Elac loudspeaker, single tone control. No power socket on this set.
The set didn't need much work, the pressed aluminium speaker grill had some dents which have been sorted out.
No electrical work required whatsoever, the set worked immediately on applying 18 volts from the bench power supply.
First class sound quality on FM, lively on MW but not so good on LW, doesn't receive RTE1.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP38_1.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	75903   Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP38_2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	75904   Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP38_3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	75905   Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP38_4.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	75906   Click image for larger version

Name:	HackerRP38_5.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	75907  

Old 7th Feb 2013, 11:05 pm   #94
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi FERNSEH,

Many thanks for those details - yours is the earliest I have on record with the Elac loudspeaker. Excellent restoration, especially that front grille! The weak LW might be fixable; it might be as simple as doing an RF lineup.

All the best,

Mark
Old 8th Feb 2013, 12:53 am   #95
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Mark,
The set appears to of late '60s production, the electrolytic capacitor in the attached picture is dated 6742, 42nd week of 1967.
Transistor TR1 is a Mullard BF194 and has the code D39 on it. Tr3 is a Mullard BF194b and has the code 0g3. I'm not sure if these codes are the date manufacture or for other purposes.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HackerRP38_6.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	75933  
Old 10th Feb 2013, 1:48 pm   #96
westcliff
Hexode

Hi Mark,

I've got myself another Hunter, so hear are the details for your records:

Model - Hunter VHF RP38A.
Dial - White and green printing.
Speaker - Frame is unpainted, gold-coloured metal. "Elac" sticker on side. Stamped ""38HE/146 15 (ohm sign)". I think it's "38"; it's a bit smudged.
Grille - Mesh.
Badge - Metal "Hacker" badge on black vinyl at top left of front. This badge is different from those on my later RP38As in that it does not have a box surrounding the letters, which are raised and chrome-coloured on a black background.
Handle - One-piece.
Serial number - 23876 stamped on chassis; 28693 on white paper sticker on bottom of case. Oh dear.

I hope this information is helpful.

Gus.
Old 18th Feb 2013, 12:50 am   #97
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Gus,

Sorry it's taken a while to respond to this

Fascinating!

Looking at my data, nothing appears to have changed between the two numbers you have, so fortunately that doesn't muddy the waters in any way. Whoever made up the set obviously did it from two identical examples - which is good going when you consider how many changes this set saw over the years!

All details check out with just one exception; the unpainted loudspeaker didn't put in an appearance until ~33,000. This suggests that this set is actually the product of at least 3 different Hunters.

The lettering on the 'speaker is almost certainly "58HE/146". The first two numbers indicate the size (5" by 8")

The earlier style badge you have (chromed brass rather than the later pressed aluminium) is correct for this model version.

Presumably the handle doesn't have a Rexine insert?

For my records, I think I'll take the chassis number. After all, the paper sticker might well fall off.

Thanks - and sorry again for the delay in replying...

Mark

Edit: I presume it has teak sides?
Old 27th Feb 2013, 9:26 pm   #98
juliosham
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark,

I'd like to register my Hunter please.

Details as follows;
Designation - RP38A Hunter VHF
Serial Number – 13347
Handle Type – Single Piece
Grille type – Grille type sheet Aluminium
Scale print – White with green lettering on MW
DC Input socket – No
Speaker – Elac with grey finish (58HE/146 printed on speaker)
Wave-Change Buttons - Black with Silver Insert
Tone control – Silver
The radio is covered in Black Rexine

This is my first Hacker which I bought last year. I had previously been collecting Roberts sets and a small valve set (Bush VHF70). The Hunter is my favourite of my transistors though. Sounds fantastic.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 27th Feb 2013, 11:23 pm   #99
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for these details - I've added the set to my timeline document, so you'll see it when I get around to uploading the next version. I'll add it to the Hacker Radio Yahoo database in a moment.

Yours is the earliest RP38A I know about - previously it was 13670 (one of mine), so we've narrowed down that change by 323. Excellent!

Glad you're enjoying the set. Only one though

All the best,

Mark
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 1:58 am   #100
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Hi I have just dug mine out. Looking at the other entries mine does not look anything special but one more to add to your resgistry

Model Designation: RP38A, HUNTER VHF
Serial number:36119
Handle Type: Single Aluminium
Grille Type: Flat Mesh
Scale: All UK stations in white, all European and Irish stations in green
DC input socket: Yes
Loudspeaker: Gold finish ELAC with label still attached
Tone controls: Silver (bass and treble)
On/Off Volume and Tuning control:Silver
Cabinet: Black resine with wooden teak ends.

I bought this a few years ago at the NCVF. Sadly it has been got at by the phantom dabbler with all IF coils twiddled. That is why it has been sitting on my long to do pile for the last few years. Its a pity because it does look in good condition with only a few dents on the speaker grille and no signs of battery corrosion on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hacker RP38A 3.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	76989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker RP38A 3 (1).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	76990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker RP38A 3 (2).jpg
Views:	475
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	76991  

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 3rd Mar 2013 at 2:22 am. Reason: Poor grammer etc.
Closed Thread