UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2019, 8:14 pm   #21
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready sky emperor

You only need 75V to 85V HT and about 1.35V LT. HT endpoint is about 60V and LT is 1.1.

You for sure need to change about half the Hunts. Paper dielectric only get worse. I'd assumed till a few days ago you needed at least 100V to test. Surprised that quite small caps passing 10uA at 30V.

A DMM is often using less than 3V.

It's such a pain to work on these and it needs ALL the HT, g2 and anode to g1 caps replaced anyway, that best not to agonise and do them all.
Quite small 20V disc ceramics on low voltage parts and 100V ceramics on higher voltages. No need for bulky foil.
Actually all my 20V, 50V and 100V disc ceramics pass on the 300V leakage tester (never lights). I've never had a paper cap pass except for a couple of mil spec hermetic sealed ones.
These caps only had a 10 to 15 year service life! Even on the shelf. Of course it's damp here in the Emerald Isle*. Maybe fine in desert regions!

(* I suspect algae and moss, not grass)
Closed Thread