UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2019, 8:58 am   #41
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Repairing a Vidor CN359 - someone who's never done this before

Oh and the capacitor near the Magic Eye isn't critical as it has less than -20V on it. Zero volts with no signal. It's a filter so the eye pattern doesn't change with the bass in the audio.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 7:55 pm   #42
andrewferguson
Hexode

A very quick question: I've just got the soldering iron setup to replace the final capacitor, but it occurs to me that it is very close to the EM34 magic eye (in fact, it is connected to the pins of the socket for the EM34). I've attached a photo showing the positioning of the capacitor compared to the EM34, you can see it directly underneath the resistor on the valve socket.

Is it a good idea / necessary to remove the EM34 before replacing the capacitor? It would be a bit of a pain (have to remove the glass and other bits), but do-able I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	186496  
Old 11th Jul 2019, 9:03 pm   #43
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

There is no risk if you snip off the cap and the iron is hot enough.
However, surely there is just one or two screws (one visible) and the socket comes off?
I would unplug all glass valves before soldering a socket, but I'd not worry about Octal.
Old 11th Jul 2019, 9:52 pm   #44
andrewferguson
Hexode

Ah, yes. Those two screws look like all that is needed. Much easier than trying to remove the front glass to take the valve out but keep the socket in place. In my defence it's been a long day!
Thanks again Mike, I'd truly be lost without you!
Closed Thread