UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2017, 5:11 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default Telephony by J. Atkinson. Information on shared service lines.

I've being trying to find out technical information about shared party lines used on the 300 series phone so I'm specifically interested to know if there is any information about them in the above book. There doesn't seem to be anything out on the interwebs (unless someone knows different)

If anyone has a copy and could check I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 29th Jun 2017, 7:42 pm   #2
Euros1951
Triode

Default Re: Telephony by J. Atkinson

Cannot find my copy. However, see the attached link- hopefully,it may be useful:-http://www.britishtelephones.com/t312.htm
Old 29th Jun 2017, 9:03 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

There are a couple of pages in Volume 2 in the Miscellaneous Services chapter - pages 683-567. Just a basic circuit of telephone and the 'mods' to the subs line circuit at the exchange. Very basic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SharedServiceCct.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	145355  
Old 30th Jun 2017, 10:49 am   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
There are a couple of pages in Volume 2 in the Miscellaneous Services chapter - pages 683-567. Just a basic circuit of telephone and the 'mods' to the subs line circuit at the exchange. Very basic.
Forgot to mention - the circuit shown is that used by the Tele 310/Bellset 41 or the wall version - the Tele 311. Those were the telephones introduced just after WW2 (when Atkinson's Telephony was written) . The slow to operate relay was to prevent 'bell tinkle' when the partner phone was dialling out. However within a couple of years the 'Thyristor' became available to replay the relay circuitry and the Tele 312 came into being with the thyristor in the phone negating the need for the Bellset 41. Most Tele 310's were rebuilt as Tele 312 's. That's why Tele 310's are quite rare and there are plenty Bellset No 41's about!
Old 30th Jun 2017, 4:27 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I don't have Atkinson's book, but here's the pages dealing with Party Lines from "Telephony - a detailed exposition of the telephone system of the British Post Office", Volume 1 by Herbert & Procter, 1932 (I do not have Volume 2). I think this was published before the series 300 phones were introduced. It doesn't describe a specific set, and does say that "... various systems of selective ringing have been invented.", but it may be of use. It does describe the "slow to operate" relay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Partty Line Herbert and Procte Vol 1 1932 .pdf (1.04 MB, 111 views)
Old 30th Jun 2017, 10:28 pm   #6
els1967
Pentode

Default Re: Telephony by J. Atkinson. Information on shared service lines.

Thanks all very much for taking the time to scan in the books and reply. I shall have a digest and be back with more questions
Closed Thread